1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

High Tire Pressure

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by 08XModel, Apr 23, 2009.

1. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

Went to ride today and always before any ride I check tire pressure. Pressures in front and rear were at least 5psi over what the book says. I mostly ride two up so 36 in front, 40 in rear. I noticed that last ride the rear end seemed to be riding very rough. Front rides ok. I let pressure out to specs and rear felt good but front felt a little soft. What could cause this? I've never had this happen before. The bike is kept in a garage and I have not ridden in over a week. I will check tomorrow to see what pressures are set at. Any info would be appreciated.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

first i have heard of tires gaining air......i HAVE heard of pressure gauges acting up tho......................
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

i would get a second gauage & see if it reads the same & always try to check when tires are cold
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Bad gauge at last fill or misread when filling...

Tires don't suck in air unless you use the new HD Nitrogen Screaming Eagle Air for your tires.
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the nitrogen will also suck dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:roflmao:
  6. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

They will gain if the temperature rises. If the temp went up in your area 5-10 degrees like it has around here lately, I think your tire pressures would increase. I don't know if it would go up 5 lbs. but that's the only thing that would cause it that I know of.
  7. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

When I filled tires last the temp was around 50deg and then yesterday the temp in the garage was about 100deg. I let air out but noticed that the front felt weird in some corners. I will try a second gauge.
  8. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

I will just about bet the difference is the ambient temperature.
  9. RadarRunner56

RadarRunner56 New Member

I had a bad guage once & did not know it until I loaned it to a buddy & he mentioned something was wrong with it a few days later. Tossed it & bought a better quality guage (forget the cheapies by the Walmart cash register).

I always check mine before I ride since they say to check cold, so I would expect it to be higher after being on the road. I have also had tires on one side of a car be higher on the side facing the sun too.