1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Historic Code

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Lucifer, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Heading to work yesterday morning,it appeared the engine light stayed on a little longer than it should...Got to work, shut bike off,then turned ignition on again...sure nuff, engine light comes on,goes out then comes back on again for a few seconds...indicating a historic code...:wtf:
    Going for lunch I was leaving a stop sign turning right, bike quits/stalls...just what a guy needs with a messed up back,bike leaning to the right for a 90 degree turn and it stalls:rolleyes:....fired right back up...got to restaurant,it's idling fine but I notice gas gauge dropping down to empty:confused:

No previous issues,except a few weeks ago at a stop light it stalled on me and had a low idle...Breathers are routed to atmosphere so I didn't think a dirty IAC would be the problem...
    Found on the innernet how to pull codes through speedo so when I get a chance I'll do that...But in the meantime any ideas what could be going on??
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Maybe a fuel filter?
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

bad fuel tank cap, crack the tank cap open a bit see if it helps.

If the electrics are not cutting out ie the dash headlight etc are
    still on then it would be fuel related...
  4. FLHTbiker

I thought about the fuel cap afterwords and thought it may not be venting.
  5. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

Battery voltage OK? Might be enough amperage to start but not properly run all the electronics, especially once charging system heats up with engine running awhile.
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

is this on your cop king ? might be that darn efi plugging up :eek:
  7. Lucifer

Yeah cowboy,it's the cop king...New fuel filter last year,new Deka battery this year...I read HRK's reply yesterday afternoon(real busy at work:rolleyes:) so when I was leaving I took the gas cap off and tried to blow through it...what a head rush:p... couldn't blow thought it at all...1st bike that I didn't modify the gas cap vent with an awl and a hammer;)left the cap loose and the bike ran fine on the way home:D So the gas cap could very well be the problem...Gonna run some Seafoam through it in case the injectors are a little dirty....But,I think HRK nailed it:cheers:
  8. hotroadking

Well that's good...
  9. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Yeah, that would be good if it's just the gas cap. A little Seafoam won't hurt anything either. I use it all the time - just pour a glug, glug in the tank when I gas up.
  10. Lucifer

It would be good...I never would have thought of the cap not venting with a fuel pump on EFI...I was figuring some sensor was going south....kinda weird watching the gas gauge dropping down from 3/4 to empty...I was letting it idle while watching the gauge drop and was wondering if it was going to stall when the gauge hit empty... lol
    Think I'll have a couple of Red Neck Bud's and "modify" my gas cap;)
    Fuel Moto is where I found the info on how to pull codes

Harley Codes - Fuel Moto
  11. FLHTbiker

Glad it was an easy fix for you :)
  12. Lucifer

Not 100% sure that's the problem...but it was a very good suggestion that makes sense,(cheap and easy too:cool::D)I guess when I get the code and it's low fuel pressure or something around a fuel issue...When this EFI bike acts up it does make me wish it was a Shovel or Evo
  13. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I had that issue with my Sportster when I bought a fancy pop up gas cap from Drags. What a piece of siit it was. I put the stock on and haven't had a single issue. :D
  14. hotroadking

Hope that's all it is...
  15. Lucifer

Me too...Gas cap is modified...Only took 8 Red Neck Buds;)It will not not vent again:D Let's see how she goes...
  16. hotroadking

Well at least it was a beer fix...
  17. Lucifer

Well,can't use the link from FM to pull code...Mine needs the little jumper wire in the Data Link connector...I remember making one up when I got the bike...Now, where the hell did I put it:banghead:
    On the plus side,it seems to be running better since I adjusted the vent...but I'd still like to find what hiccuped and caused the historic code,before I head out next week...I wonder if the dealer has 2 pins in stock:rolleyes:
  18. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

but I'd still like to find what hiccupped
    Did'nt think the Efi was suppose to hiccupped ? hope the gas cap was the main trouble
  19. Lucifer

lol.. What ever the problem was it came and went away(like a hiccup;)lol),that's why it's a historic code...something slowed the fuel flow/pressure down...gas cap is a whole lot better than a fuel pump...
    I'm taking it to a shop in the town I work in....he's going to do a leak down,compression check and check the oil pressure ...Might as well get him to check fuel pressure too....
    He's got a mid 50's (I think it is) Triumph custom he put together,pretty cool looking bike:D I'll snap some pics when I drop my bike off to him.....
  20. FLHTbiker

I would like to see the pics of that Triumph sounds like a cool bike.

I have a feeling the gas cap is probably the cause but does not hurt to check it over. Good luck with it.