1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Hit from behind

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Hot01, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I got hit from behind today. Typing is a little hard with my hand in a cast, but I wanted to let you guys know. I was stopped, the delivery van behind me didn't. Thankfully it was a very slow speed and I took a minor tumble over the handlebars. I'm bruised in places I didn't know I had, and my baby's hurting too. Nothing too bad, but she'll need some work. A friend got there and arranged to have the bike towed to Thunder Mountain. The service manager was there and apparently said lots of nice things about me to the other friend who met the tow truck at the dealership. He said they'll get her back together as quickly as they can. Hopefully I'll be able to squeeze the clutch in a few weeks.
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Abby, That's not good new's but it's good at the same time , bad that you & your best friend got hurt (how bad is your hand?) & good that your not hurt worse , I just read your post about the Hog rally & then seen this , just relax & do what you have todo hope all comes out your way , your best friend is in good hands at T-M , now take care of yourself ,
    I was going to ask you about hog nat membership , do you have to join a local chapter? or can you just use there goodies ie towing discount at stealer ship
  3. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

They say Thunder Mountain is pretty good, but I know of a couple shops just south of there - Longmont area & actually Frederick, right off I-25. Welcome to High Country Harley-Davidson/Buell High Country H-D & right across the parking lot in that business park, NHRS. Primarily Buell guys @ NHRS, but they do know H-D's quite well & when we've gone out to the Bonneville salt flats, bringing bikes from North Carolina & Ohio, that's where we stopped to dyno tune & test theories, 3 years in a row.

I know the owner of NHRS personally & while I'm not a fan of H-D dealerships, High Country seems to be a good one. And I can certainly recommend NRHS for anything having to do with a H-D bike, including frame work on one that's been hit. Small shop, but the owner is an engineer, all work is done by experts & no detail goes unnoticed. I'm an engineer & machinist so I know good work when I see it & NHRS is one of the best there is. Even if Thunder Mountain does a good job for you & from what I hear they will, run down to NRHS anyway. No, I don't get anything for talking about them, such as a commission on something you might buy.
  4. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

That ain't good but I guess it could have been worst. A delivery van usually has insurance and I'll bet there's a lot running around out there with none. I hope you aren't hurt too bad but a cast doesn't sound good. Let us know how things go. Take care.
    Slim
  5. gutierg

gutierg New Member

Glad you are OK

As always, reading this enfuriates me beyond believe. I know that you had done a lot of work over the winter to your bike. But most of all, I am glad you are able to write this.

Please make sure you heal properly and if you need anything just let us know.
    Your friend will be ready in due time and ready to hit the open road once you are 100%.

Best wishes,
    German
  6. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

glad you made it through alive. play things right with the insurance co. your bike could end up better than ever. stick it right to the insurance; no mercy:fight: made the rectum who hit you regret not seeing the bike:puke: make an example out of the van driver.
  7. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

dammit that sucks, glad it wasn't worse, and i know it happens every where but i remember mentioning greenie drivers:rant: they are some of the worst drivers of any place i have been (i know that will spur some arguments:D )don't forget to use the outfit that hit you's insurance to the fullest, I believe there was some tranny damage ;) wasn't there. hit the son of a guns in the pocket book, (if you can't tell this bike vs. cage crap is gettin old) by the way where did it happen, give us the run down some may learn from your unfortunate situation, heal well and fast, and remember to put this as another chapter in abby's trips, tails, and folklores.:D
  8. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

It's hard to write, so I'll keep it short. Art, I have no doubt that the people you recommend are good, but I have a very good relationship with the service department at Thunder Mtn due to all the work I had done there over the winter, so I'm going to stick with them. My service writer called first thing this morning, as soon as he got in and saw my bike. I know he'll take care of me and make sure my baby gets everything that's due.

I can't stop replaying the accident in my mind. I'm not second-guessing myself; there's nothing I could have done. I'm so glad it was at such a slow speed that the van load of Mexicans didn't do that much damage. I'm also grateful they were on the job with a legitimate company so I won't get screwed.
  9. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Glad you're okay Abby. Hope you are back in the saddle real soon!
  10. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I am truly saddened to read that you and HOT01 were injured. Ain't that the way? Ya get your bike all pretty and purring and then crap happens. :witsend: :banghead:

I hope you both get healed-up sooner than expected. It is good that the responsible party has coverage.

Do you have that neat aftermarket clutch-assist spring? (No need to type a response - rhetorical ?) I think it is made by some German company. It does make the clutch easier so you can get back in the saddle sooner. If you don't have it I'm sure Thunder Mountain can hook you up - a cheap & effective aid.

Get well soon!
  11. SkyKing

SkyKing New Member

So sad, Abby. Here's to a speedy recovery. Every time I stop in traffic, I think about the car/truck behind me not stopping. My thoughts are...If I see them coming, will I react fast enough to get out of the way??
  12. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I have to admit, it was one of the few times I wasn't looking in the mirror at a stop in traffic, but I think it was for the best. There was so much traffic all around, that my other options would have been to pull into a lane of moving traffic or pull into oncoming traffic. Any way I would have gone, I'd have been hit, and the hit I got was probably the least of all evils. I don't know if I'll ever forget the shock of hearing the crunching sound and realizing I was getting hit.
  13. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Can't argue with that, but I'd still recommend a ride down to NHRS (fomerly Nallin Racing Head Service) just a stone's throw off I-25 south of you, where State Hwy. 14 crosses. Exit 235 on the way down to Denver, just over to the west side by High Country H-D. Pardon me for being really, really picky about who I do business with & I have no problem recommending NRHS. Details, details, details - they are excellent about that.

There is no such thing as an "accident" - somebody screwed up somewhere. Perhaps if you'd had the bike in 1st gear, the clutch in & saw the idiot driver coming, you could have gotten out of the way? Hindsight is always 20-20, but I have to go by the rule I was taught 40 years ago - "Always expect everyone on the road will do the stupidest thing they could possibly do." They will too & in 1.25 million miles driving semis all across the U.S. & southern Canada too I thought I'd seen it all - nope, the idiots still do things you can't predict.
  14. SK

SK New Member

Damn Abby, that's always my worst nightmare..what's behind me. Glad you're ok as it always can be worse. First heal, and then right back on her as soon as possible. Some great riding as the season's still really early.
  15. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

Sorry to hear that Abby... But also glad to know you are ok... The bike can be repaired/replaced... You can't!!! I hafta say though, Art is right... I always try to leave a way out at a light... I may even leave some space between the car ahead of me and me if I have too... Anything that can help me with getting away from an a$$hole that can't or doesn't care to stop in time... Try getting into the habit of scanning for a way out if the enevitable happens. Again, I'm glad you're ok!!!:)
  16. ruffrider11

ruffrider11 New Member

God's speed on your recovery and your rides I dont want to sound negative but I would recomend getting a lawyer just incase you need a bit of legal muscle.And again heal fast :cool:
  17. charlieharley0057

charlieharley0057 New Member

Get Well soon

Get well soon Abby and I hope your friend makes a full recovery ;)
  18. Injunfxdwg

Injunfxdwg New Member

Abby, Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope that you mend fast.

"I have to admit, it was one of the few times I wasn't looking in the mirror at a stop in traffic, but I think it was for the best. There was so much traffic all around, that my other options would have been to pull into a lane of moving traffic or pull into oncoming traffic. Any way I would have gone, I'd have been hit, and the hit I got was probably the least of all evils. I don't know if I'll ever forget the shock of hearing the crunching sound and realizing I was getting hit."

Don't EVER forget that sound. Remembering it will keep you a very careful biker in the future. That sound was much better than the sound of bones breaking. I hope your baby comes back soon as good as new.
  19. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

This reminds me of something that was said to me back in 1980 when I was a ski bum in Aspen Colorado. I said "what a great place to ride a motorcycle in the summer" and this old timer replied that it was one of the most dangerous places around for motorcycles because most of the car drivers are not looking at where they are going, they are all looking around at the scenery. I don't know why, but this always stuck in my head.

Abby, Get well soon :)

Tom
  20. 2fastnaz

2fastnaz Moderator

Get well soon Abby,

I've been there and done that. Had a city of Imperial Beach car rearend me on my FXRT back when I was in the Navy. Tried to screw me cause I stopped at a red light before turning. I guess they don't do that in Cali. I settled with the city and shouldn't have. I should have let Ins. play out. I'd of made out way better