1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.
  1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Was at our monthly HOG chapter meeting on Tuesday evening and one of the people who went to the annual national HOG officer training said this. It was reported that HOG membership is down 56% nationally.

Our chapter starts over every year as members renew their membership and we are already up to over 350 members. Interesting as to why the membership nationally is so far down.
  2. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

I wonder how many of the owners of the new H-D 750 and 500 are joining HOG? Maybe it is only relevant to the older customer base.
  3. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Here's a reason: how many HD dealers have closed nationwide? I don't know myself but I understand it's a "bunch" from a national HOG officer who came to town to shut our chapter down. When or if your sponsoring dealer closes, your chapter is closed down! Further, you can no longer wear your chapter rocker. So, when they came to our "chapter" meeting and said that ours was out and that we have to take off our rockers , many said F ___k HOG. And let their membership expire some even called and insisted on a refund. We then went to AMA and became a AMA chartered MC. Also, members of an AMA club DO NOT have to join the AMA. Just club officers and in order to vote for officers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

I don't belong to the local HOG chapter just national. Don't want to belong to any local organization. National allows me to attend whatever really,get a free on yada yada.
  5. FLHTbiker

Fatboy I don't blame you for being bitter. Here there have been only one that closed down because it was poorly run and the owner ran it into the ground. The Hog members went over to two dealers close by and talking to some of them they are much happier.
  6. Fatboy128

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bitter at all. Poo Poo happens and whether I'm HOG or not means little to me. As it happens I am still HOG and have enough pins that I seldom wear my vest due to it weighing 1000 pounds from all the metal!!! I belong to AMA since 1977 and have their Road Service coverage that is a hell of a lot better than HOG. They even cover the cars I own!
    There is another HOG chapter here but they do a lot of talking and not much riding snd their meeting place is not very convenient. The other thing in my particular case is that I find that the chapter and my club is big on couples and not so singles. I'm not single in the matrimonial sense but my wife can't ride due to spinal stenosis and herniated discs so I'm single in the biker sense. That leaves me with just a few riding buddies in and out of the club. The couples on the other hand have a ball every weekend either riding or not.
  7. FLHTbiker

Glad our chapter is not like that as we have both single men and women who ride. We even have a handicapped guy who brings his little dog with him. We all seem to get along well and we have a ride planned for almost every weekend. We even do a ride once a month for the new riders and the dealer has a mystery ride once a month and the chapter helps out by providing road captains and puts the route together.
    I guess when I see our chapter and what they do I just assume other chapters are like that also. Some probably are but sounds like some are not.
  8. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

Ditto...
  9. Fatboy128

Again, don't get me wrong, there isn't a "click" in the club it's just that many of the activities are mostly couples. There are a bunch of single men that ride but I guess being an old married dude that can't have the wifey with him sort of makes ya feel out of place. Plus, for the all day rides I still have a wifey stuck at home. So I don't do all day rides.

10. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

Similar to our chapter here. We are a bit smaller I think, but at least one ride each weekend, sometimes Sat and Sun ride. Usually couple a month at lunch time during the week for those who that works for. Also once or twice a month a evening ride once gets summer and stays light longer. We get along and is men, women riding single and couples...little of it all.
  11. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I belong to a local chapter but I hate it. There are over 500 members. I am not a huge fan of National HOG either as I think that the benefits they offer are a joke, but I will keep that membership just to support my brand.
  12. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

I also have 6 shares of Harley stock for the same reason.
  13. ultra200922

ultra200922 Active Member

I only belong at the National level. The fly and ride program is nice.
  14. Fatboy128

I don't think they still have that program.

15. kickstand68

kickstand68 Active Member

That was real shity for HOG to do that. They could have handled that a lot of constructive ways instead they chose the most destructive. In the end I think you guys got a better deal going now. You don't answer to HOG anymore. I think I was given a membership when I purchased a bike once, but I never did anything with it.