1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Home made exhaust ?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by larry, Apr 15, 2005.

1. larry

larry New Member

Hi Everyone,
    This is for the ones who can't really afford to buy a $400 or more exhaust for their motorcycle. My wife and I kept looking into different prices and exhaust systems for awhile. I watch what everyone writes about exhaust. Well, I just went to Auto Zone and bought 2-2 inch X 24 inch chrome pipes with reducers to fit my 2004 FXD. Then I went to the neighborhood motorcycle shop and bought 2-2 inch steel baffles. I drilled the pipes to put the baffles in about 4 inches and I opened them up except for the last 2 sets of plates to baffle the exhaust. Last year I had a shop rejet my bike when I took out the plate in the stock mufflers. By opening up the steel baffles and leaving the last two sets of plates doing their job, my bike has the sound I want, the power is still there, the looks are there, and I don't see any indication of having to go through rejetting my bike again. I just wanted to let you all know that we are very happy with the outcome and I don't have $35 in it.
    Larry
  2. RocketCityRider

RocketCityRider New Member

Pictures?

Sounds cool. Can you post some pictures?
  3. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

for real!!

gotta see this..sounds great for custom parts and thinking!!!
  4. larry

larry New Member

Hi RocketCityRider and voodoo1,
    I have to get ahold of my stepdaughter to take pictures of the exhaust and show me how to put it in here so you can see it. I'll try to have her do this as soon as possible. You'll have to wait a few days for me to get her help.
    larry
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Heck Paulie and Vinnie make exhaust all the time, LOL

All you need is pipes, a bender, a welder and a chromer LOL

Actually once you get into the larger motors it's one of the better ways to go for performance exhaust.
  6. RocketCityRider

RocketCityRider New Member

Performance exhaust....

I doubt if Paulie and Vinnie know anything about "performance exhaust".
    They make exhaust that looks good and fits the theme of the bike they are building with very little regard to it's performance.
    -RCR
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes that's true it's a designer pipe series, but point was if those two numbnuts can build an exhaust then with a little time and help anyone should be able to put one together, question is how will it perform.

There are a couple of guys I know that have software that will give the exact length and diameter of the pipes you should build to optimize power.

Pretty involved stuff though.

Guess I'll haveto get my size 13's out and get busy!
  8. larry

larry New Member

Hi People,
    I and my stepdaughter have tried to send a picture ( 2 ) and for some reason we can't get it to work. I am not experienced enough and she doesn't know how either. It makes me angry that I have such an exhaust and no one but friends are able to see how nice it works. SORRY!!!
    Larry