1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

hot pipes

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by ironhorse, Oct 21, 2006.

1. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

heres a ? for y'all. I ran my scooter in to the shop today, and not that i am the most observant individual in the world but I backed it in to the corner walked over to the light switch off go the lights and at about 55- 60 ft I am seein a glow from my bike althogh It will usually git the first 4-6 inches red this sucker was glowing to allmost transparent about 12-14 inches down the pipe. it's a 06 flhxi just wondering if it is just the efi or is it that I am not that obsrevant.
  2. scooter

scooter New Member

Great...now I'm gonna be backing MY bike into a dark corner, pipes facing the inside of the garage..tomorrow, and flipping the light off to see if MINE glow too. Thanks alot, man, thanks alot....:D

scoot
  3. Cracker

Cracker New Member

The new bikes are running Lean to meet EPA crap. Pull a spark plug & I'll bet you it is snow white. Contact Sam here at Directparts & he will set you up with something to put some fuel in it. It will run better & also stop cooking your seat as well as those pipes.

Regards,
    Cracker
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

You must not be running the new HD Syn-Air in the bike. This new product reduces the friction caused by the non syn air and keeps the exhaust cooler,

You could have a clogged muffler bearing that would heat up the headers if the exisiting hot gasses are not allowed to pass freely.

LOL

Ok probably lean, I watched one glow red on a dyno being tuned at Carls, it was a friends bike he freaked! Never realized how hot that stuff gets coming out , especially the rear header as it doesn't get the cool airflow the front does.

A DFO or Powercommander to richen up the fuel mix will help to some extent.
  5. ridehard95

ridehard95 New Member

Sounds like to me its bruning a little lean
  6. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

muffler bearing

hrk cheacked the muffler bearing and changed to syn air, but I believe I'm with the rest...the efi belt is to tight causing high static discharge resulting in muffler bearing stall. pretty sure the syn air cant hurt though:D :D
  7. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

Is a mufler bearing as bad as a misaligned Johnson Rod? You guys really got me concerned now.:rolleyes:
  8. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

Just wait till you get to the headlamp repair kit....the instructions for the filiment change are a bit vague..... :eek: :D
  9. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

Just cause I'm the new kid on the block does't mean I fell off the turnip trunk bucko!

I was forwarned about changing filiments so this nce guy sold me a Krypton bulb that will never burn out and is gauranteed for 6 life times. It was ony $250.00.

I'm still getting used to the bright green light at night and I've noticed a marked decrease in strength after night riding, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.:D
  10. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

I thought if you used a mufler bearing that's what can give you a misaligned johnson rod :confused:

And there's no cure.
  11. Tomflhrci98

Let's debate this point - too lean?

If the engine is lean why is the pipe hot:confused: I would think that if you have a hot spot (glow) in your pipes it is one of the following reasons.
    1. Unburned fuel (now burning in the pipes) - too rich.
    2. Unburned fuel (now burning in the pipes) - spark timing too late.
    3. Hot spot (glowing) on the outside of a bend in the pipes - normal
    4. Pipe hot (glowing) all the way down at WOT - normal, unless is starts to melt.

Anybody?
  12. Cracker

Cracker New Member

Question from Tomflhrci98
    If the engine is lean why is the pipe hot I would think that if you have a hot spot (glow) in your pipes it is one of the following reasons.
    1. Unburned fuel (now burning in the pipes) - too rich.
    2. Unburned fuel (now burning in the pipes) - spark timing too late.
    3. Hot spot (glowing) on the outside of a bend in the pipes - normal
    4. Pipe hot (glowing) all the way down at WOT - normal, unless is starts to melt.

Anybody?

Answer Air/Fuel Ratio (AFR)

Higher AFR values correspond to a leaner (less fuel) condition. The practical operating range for most engines using gasoline fuel is from approximately 11.5 to 14.7 AFR. Combustion of a stoichiometric mixture (exactly enough air to burn all the fuel) results in 14.7 AFR indication. Automotive engines with catalytic converters operate near 14.7 AFR during cruise and idle. Air-cooled motorcycle and automotive race engines require a richer mixture to limit cylinder head temperature and prevent detonation. The table below lists recommended AFR values for engines without emission controls.

More info here > http://www.daytona-sensors.com/tech_tuning.html

Hope that helps,
    Cracker
  13. Tomflhrci98

Cracker,

That’s exactly my point. 14.7 to 1 AFR is the optimal ratio for efficiency and also happens to be the best point for emissions. Granted that there is a lot more involved for good emissions, but, it is wrong to think that running lean is the only way to get good emissions output. In fact, running lean causes 2 problems; one, higher NOx (NOx bad) and two, running lean can cause misfires that will then cause other bad emissions issues.

So getting back to the original issue in this thread about glowing pipes. My experience tells me that glowing pipes are from burning fuel in the pipes. This is caused by; too rich AFR below 14.7 to 1 and/or late spark timing.

Nice link by the way. Good info.

T.
  14. Cracker

Cracker New Member

I surrender:(
  15. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

LMAO........
  16. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

yea ,yea I could look it up but what the hedouble hockey stix is LMAO, 4Idnk
  17. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

I LMAO when I figured it out