1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Hot wiring a pitbull

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by voodoo1, Sep 26, 2008.

1. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

Hey anyone hotwired an 04 pitbull.:D
    My buddy bought a wrecked one, the tank and forks were damaged.
    The "motherboard" possibly damaged. The electric works on the back half of the bike but not the front.. The front swtiches and etc. This bike is a 107 carburated ride. Gotta be a way just to fire it up. He has it all back together and painted but Big Dog just went under and some parts are hard to come by. Everything now is coming out of FLorida. They buy up belly-up shop stock and resale. But not sure if he gonna rewire or what. I have not looked at the "motherboard" on it but if there is spark and fuel ..it'll run long enough to get him re-inspired to finish having it fixed. :D I told him we could rewire/use the wire already there and get it going Geeze if I wire a HD I should be able to figure this out just gonna take a bit of time I really do not have.(at least it ain't my money though):D
    later:cool:
    Voo1
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

big dog has not gone under.....maybe the local dealer has, but bigdog themselves are alive and well.
    the 04 shouldnt have any computer componets on it. it has an electronic ignition in the cone, just as the shovels did. is has a coil set up. the engine is a 107 s&s, very simple engine to work on.....knock off of a shovel. the carb is an e series s&s.....the bike should fire if ya get power to the coil...and starter.....good luck, let us know..........:)
  3. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

my bad

yeah the Big Dog DEALERship out here went under.(funny the sales parts wentto FLa.
    I have not seen the bike, but I'll be out there tomorow to fire it up.
    I figured what he was calling a "motherboard" was not what he thought it was.
    I'll get it fired up and let ya know what the heck he was talking about when I see it.
    On a side note I was hanging out at the local pub and a dude rode up on a "SS". It was painted just like the Camaros and Chevelles back in the day.
    He said GM put a stop to that when they shouted infringement of copyrights.

Later:cool:

Voo1
  4. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

ok this weekend

Still have NOT seen the bikes wiring.
    Told him we could possibly and should quite easily be able to hotwire this DOg. He said cool,"So we can bypass all this stuff?" Not sure what he keeps going on about a computer board/ chip board and all. Fried coil and all it is a different story. It I can get juice to the coil and to the starter....it'll turn over for him and hopefully start. I'll keep ya updated. Until then I am still wondering what the fella is talking about. The guy working on it knows bikes pretty well but he said a while back it had electrical problems and he was going to paint it and replace a few parts then he was done. Not sure if knows or has even tried or was told to try and start it. hopefuly I can find some juice from something and get it going. Wow..
    Later :cool:
    Voodoo1
  5. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Do you think when he says "motherboard" he's talking about the ignition module??
    I'm not sure but I think Big Dog's run a nose cone ignition like the Crane or Dyna 2000 programable:confused: :devil:
  6. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

I did find this

The following ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:MODULE complaint about 2004 BIG DOG CHOPPER was reported to the National Highway Traffic Safety administration on 2007-11-03. For more information contact the National Highway Traffic Safety administration or the US Department of Transportation. See complaint summary below.
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

voodoo, ya on the right track......just pretend it is an ol' shovel........:)
  8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

the pitbulls have been know to have a weak wireing harness to start with I know a few guys who have them & two of my brothers boys have pit bulls all had trouble with the wireing from the get go , if he has no key , change the Ingntion out & work from there & like chuck said treet it like a shovel head
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Contact Big Dog here

Big Dog Web

you can go to downloads, create an account all you need is an email and then select and download the owners manual for any bike.

I would think any "motherboard" would be inside some compartment that is sealed, it wouldn't last in the weather.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2008