1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

How big can I go on the rear tire

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by fittykick, Apr 27, 2008.

1. fittykick

fittykick New Member

How big can I go on a 2000 and up heritage....without having to modify anything?
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Stock on 2000 was 130 you can go to a 140 with no changes.You can go to 150 but you have to pick up the rear strut harware kit from '04- and up. It is a flat bracket that fits in the strut and takes shorter torks bolts so there is no nut and bolt on the inside of the fender where it would rub the tire. So a 140 no mods but check tire clearance,or a 150 with that simple change.Any larger and your into changing the belt. Hope this helps.:devil:
  3. wblanton

wblanton New Member

Tire size

There is also a kit you can purchase from Harley that will allow you to go to either a 180 or 200. Not sure exactly since it has been awhile since I looked. The kit includes the tire, use your stock rim and change pulley and belt.
  4. jazzhog

jazzhog New Member

Tire size

I have 01 fatboy and I put 150 Avon with no modifications, plus I had lowered the rear also. I think that the heritage has a bit of a wider rear fender so I don't see why it would not work.

But look in to it before you do it. Harley sells a wide tire kit for the 150 upgrade but is $$$$ I don't think you have to spend. The tire I went with is avon AM 42
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Would you believe 160?

I've run an avon 160 it is very very very tight to the fenders and I had to change spacers to center the tire. Also you will have to remove the bag bolts for the fender as they have big nuts that will scrape and hit the tire.

I went with Bubbas Brakes detachable system so I can drop the heritage bags at any time. The Nuts under the fender are nylocks and smaller so they don't hit the tire.

Having done that I would suggest you stop at a 150 though much more room the 160 needs to be on a larger rimmed wheel than stock.

Oh and that 04 kit won't work on an 00 without some mods, I have the brackets but I'd have to drill out the fender holes and the holes on the mounting brackets to accomodate the larger diameter of the brackets.