1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

How can I tell if my FLSTF has been rejetted.

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by CHRISRG, Jul 9, 2004.

1. CHRISRG

CHRISRG New Member

Hello everyone,

I have an 03 FLSTF which I purchased used with 500 miles. It came with SE exhaust and some other upgrades. I'm going to change out the SE's for some Vance & Hines Longshots. I've been told that I will need to rejet with the addition of these pipes, however I'm thinking that the previous owner may have rejetted it when he added the screamin eagles. It may also have a SE intake, but I haven't checked.

My question is, if I take the air cleaner off, and check out the carb, how could I tell if it has been rejetted for a high flow exhaust system, and will if it was, would I still need to rejet for the V&H exhaust? Any thoughts would be great. Thanks.

Christian
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Chris the easiest way is to ask the original owner, or see if the dealer you bought the bike from did the work and has the original service records.

If not, turn off the fuel petcock and then remove air cleaner cover, if you have no black backing plate then the SE filter kit is on the bike, so at least the filter was done with the pipes.

then remove the drain plug from the bottom of the carb, an empty tuna can or similar will fit to catch the gas, then remove the bottom 4 screws.

You may find room is tight if so you'd have to remove the rear tank bolt under the seat and put a spray can cap under the tank to hold the rear up.

Then loosen the throttle cables undo the choke cable from it's mount and then the fuel line remove it from the carb. Pull carb out of intake, wiggling it will help, remove cables from carb and then drain carb it may still have gas in it.

Turn upsidedown and remove bottom float bowl and you'll see the jets, see what's in there two brass jets will have a number on them like 46 on the slow jet and 165 or higher on the main.

You should also consider changing the screws out with allen head bolts just match up the threads makes it easier, then reassemble.
  3. ffflhtcui

ffflhtcui New Member

Hey Christian

Kind of difficult to get the techies to answer on a weekday, they're all out making a living. I'm no guru but I can answer at least part of your question. Short of pulling the top or bottom or both off the carb, it's hard to tell if a "jet kit" was installed. However, if the main jet was replaced there's a good chance that whoever did it also removed the plug covering the low speed (idle) mixture screw.

If a free flowing breather was installed and the bike runs well without spitting and backfiring, most likely it was re-jetted. To determine if you have an aftermarket breather, you can remove the big allen head screw in the middle of the breather cover and look to see if you have a K & N filter. It will have a reddish color in the element. If you do have a K & N filter which is round, I'm pretty sure that a breather kit has been installed. Also, if a breather kit has been installed the plastic back half of the original HD filter housing will have been completely removed and replaced by a smaller metal backing plate.

Some people just buy the K & N replacement filter which is oval shaped like the original HD paper filter. It breathes better than stock but not as well as a full breather kit. When they do this, they just leave the original filter housing intact.

I ran my Wideglide for 1 1/2 years with SE slip-on mufflers without re-jetting or changing the breather and it ran just fine, no problems. I had a friend which put the Vance Hines Short Shots on his Superglide and it ran like crap until he re-jetted. Mine is a twin cam, his an evo though.

Hope that helps.
  4. CHRISRG

CHRISRG New Member

So worst case scenario, I could always throw the Long Shots on and see how the bike performs? If it's ok, i could leave the jetting how it is, if it's bad, I can rejet it.

edit: I just spoke to Chicago HD, which is where I bought the bike, and where the previous owner had his work done. They told me that if they put SE pipes on the bike, they would have rejetted it automatically, and that I shouldn't need to rejet if I replace with V&H pipes. I guess I'll bolt those babies on and see how she runs.
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2004