1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

How little is too little?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by knucklehead, Oct 14, 2006.

1. knucklehead

knucklehead New Member

While changing the fluids for the 1000 mi. service, was I surprised. You would have expected 32 oz' to drain in the pan, right! Or there about. Well, I think 4 or less would surprise you. It did me. The first 1000 mi., I had about that much. What can I say, guess I was lucky I still have a transmission. Would I say anybody buys a new harley, check all your fluids before you ride away from the showroom. YES! Don't be shy. It happened to me. Riding is living. :(
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

a good post and even better reminder.......nobody is perfect........
    chuck
  3. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

I guess you can consider your transmission broken in… at least it was little wet.
    Because you did your own maintenance, Harley can easily deny your claim of only 4 ounces in the tranny.
    I would mention it to who-ever you bought it from and pay close attention to any transmission noise; just in case.
  4. DKIN21

DKIN21 New Member

I Agree With Killer B, U Should Have Let H-d Dealer Do The First One, I Know Its Cost But Well Worth It, Just Had 1st One Done On My Rk Se
  5. SkyKing

SkyKing New Member

Do you think H-D would have admitted finding only 4 oz in the trany?

Or...blamed you for not checking it?
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

if it was the 1000 mile service, they probably woulnt have said anything.....the hi paid techs dont do oil changes.......it is the grunts. the tech may go behind and check that all was done......they call it on hands training.......
    chuck
  7. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

good point

rode away on my new bike got home checked the oil and rode it right back. the "excuse" was they checked it in the rack not on the stand. I did against my pocket books wishes but with my wifes wishes take it to the dealer for its first and (warranty excluded) last visit. not that the price was so high as I can easly justifiy it as I work in the field. but again it came back low, although it only made it to the lot. and again the "excuses". I do feel that they understand my position now and that the details is what will make and brake the business and the customer.
  8. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Yup,,, your right. They would have never told ya.