1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

How long does it take to get used to a new bike?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Sechott, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Sechott

Sechott Active Member

I recently bought a Moto Guzzi Cali EV so my wife can ride with me. My other bikes are not ideal for 2 up. This is biggest bike I ever owned and after 1,000 miles I still am not getting the hang of the extra weight. My wife has rode with me a few times on short trips but I have a bit of trouble with low speed maneuvers. Besides trouble balancing at parking lot speed, I also have trouble trying to get the bike to lean to the left side approaching a stop, it seems to want to go to the right. Any suggestions to 2 up riding more enjoyable?
  2. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Never rode a Guzzi. But, I never took my wife or anyone out on the bike until I felt comfortable with handling it. First time passengers I always tell them to look over my right shoulder when I'm turning right and over the left shoulder when turning left. This gets them to stay properly seated without counter leaning. They have a tendency to lean the opposite direction then the bike which will certainly mess with the handling and could prove dangerous.
    Good luck.
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Also depends on how big your passenger is. But also agree ride the bike first until your comfortable with it. I believe the moto bikes have a higher center of gravity.
  4. Sechott

Sechott Active Member

The looking over the should tip sounds good, thanks. The Guzzi seems to handle well it takes a big turning radius. I tried several U-turns and it takes a 3 point turn on a narrow 2 lane road. I guess we should practice more in an empty parking lot. Yes, FLH the engine sits higher than most.
  5. Sechott

Sechott Active Member

I am not use to a passenger and my wife has not rode before, so it is quite a learning curve us.
  6. Sechott

Sechott Active Member

Y'all like pictures so I will post one.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
  7. Fatboy128

Not sure about the Guzzis but another slow speed handling trick with most bikes is to bring the revs up slightly and slip the clutch to move slow. Use only rear brake. The engine rpm has the effect of standing upright the bike. Shaft bikes like the Beemers USED to and maybe still do have the tendency to lift the rear end with acceleration "drive shaft jack". I'm not sure of they eliminated this tendency with newer bikes (I haven't been on a shaft drive in about 20 years). PLUS, take a MSF course. they will teach you on yer bike.
  8. Sechott

Sechott Active Member

I found from reading reviews, the Cali does not fall into the threshold for jack-shafting. Also, the rear rotor is linked to the front left rotor, the right front rotor is independent with the hand lever. Since the engine is mounted transverse when revving it, it pushes the bike to the right. Yeah, I know it's quirky but I am growing fawn to the bike.

I admit that we decided to get the Cali because it was only $5,000, and if my wife takes to riding we will upgrade. I took the basic MSF, 2 days after I got the certificate I crashed one of my bikes and broke my ankle. I had a rear tire failure going around a sharp curve, I was only going about 25-30 mph and ran into a guard rail. I plan to take the advanced course, hopefully with better karma.
  9. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Also let the wife know to just relax setting back there , so she won't lean the wrong way from you
  10. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

Texas between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls
    My wife used to relax so much she would go to sleep! I knew when she fell asleep when our helmets hit and she leaned on me.:rolleyes:
  11. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Even though your rear brake is linked with the front left Fatboy128's advice is correct...find the friction zone with the clutch,feather the rear brake,and look where you want to go....practice ,practice,practice,then when you're comfortable on the bike solo,then you can start taking the wife,if you're not relaxed,she won't be either.....

Here's an excellent course to help teach you slow speed technique....

https://www.ridelikeapro.com/

Check out the practice guide section...

and this video....

https://www.ridelikeapro.com/online-videos/stephanie-learns-to-ride-like-a-pro
  12. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

My wife feel asleep so hard one time that she feel forward pushing me into the windshield. Took me forever to get her to wake up. She would fall asleep so much that I had little nicks in the back of my helmet. Got real worried when she started riding her own but she does real good with that.

Best advice is take a riding course first. Don't say I been riding before and don't need one just do it, you'll learn things you never thought you knew.

Push right look,right, push left look left.
  13. Sechott

Sechott Active Member

Thanks for help and links. I think I would fall asleep on the bikes with chair pillions, they look comfy. I would worry about falling off.
  14. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

That "easy chair" is what keeps 'em in the seat if they fall asleep. Does sound scary, though.

I still practice slow, tight turns in parking lots. Really helps when you do a u-turn in traffic. Also, I was one of those who wasn't aware of the push - I pulled down on the side I wanted to turn to. I tried the push yesterday while riding and it works really well. You can also pull on the opposite side, very slightly - same effect.

I am a big fan of the push now.
  15. Lucifer

That's countersteering;) Riders do it without even realizing they're doing it...

http://www.stevemunden.com/countersteering.html
  16. Fatboy128

BUT, it is very important to know it and practice it! From driving a car we are used to avoiding obstacles by steering AWAY from them. Ex. cxar pulls out from a side street on you right (passenger) side you automatically steer left to avoid collision. BIKERS HAVE THE TENDENCY TO DO THE SAME WHICH DRIVES THEM INTO THE CAR!!!!! Practice "push right, steers right" "push left, steers left". Statistics show many bike car accidents the biker steered into the car!!!! In a panic, we revert back to what has become instinct from DRIVING cars.
  17. Lucifer

Another thing that happens is they look at the obstacle they're trying to avoid instead of looking to the left or right of it...and ya go where you're looking...
  18. riverthecat

riverthecat New Member

Sounds like a tricky one,no real insight for you dude,but would be interested how you get on with it...Riverthecat
  19. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Yup, looking ahead is critical, especially around curves. Faster I go, the further ahead I look. Bike does go where you look.
  20. Fatboy128