1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

How many hours

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by bushwackerhd, Sep 23, 2009.

1. bushwackerhd

bushwackerhd New Member

Maybe one of the techs out there can help me. Met a guy in the bar and he asked me to do some work on his bike. I change the trans seal, inner primary seal and clutch discs. I also had to cut off the bearing sleeve on the out put shaft because whom ever was in the last pushed it on to far. I never kept track of my time and don't want to charge him to much. Is there a book I can get a hold of to find out what time is allowed. For now I would like to know how many hours to charge.

Thanks
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

what kind of bike????harley, honda, triumph?????? if a harley in the cruiser line....about 8 hrs.....
  3. Tiny86

Tiny86 New Member

Chucks rite 6-8 hrs on just about any Harley, lots of bolts and stuff not to scratch
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I work on the cigar and scotch rate program,

As long as they are giving me good cuban cigars
    I"m golden LOL

that's for friends only though..

I'd say 6 to 8 hr/s

Remember, you do the work, you get to fix the fubars or problems if you
    are not in the business, you might consider that issue.
  5. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

All depends on if you have the right tools to do the job. There is puller to get the bearing sleeve off. If I was doing this job in my shop, I would be charging 4-5 hours labor. Can't charge the customer extra time because you don't have the correct tools to do the job! Hope this helps.
  6. bushwackerhd

bushwackerhd New Member

Sorry 95 classic, I have all the tools but like I said the bearing sleeve was on to far to use the tool for removing it. Is there a source where I can get a labor guide for HD's with out spending a arm and a leg. I geuss I'll hit him for about six hours.

Thaks Guys
  7. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

I believe HD has a flat rate manual just like the auto shops use. Check with a local stealership and possibly they'll let ya take a peek.
    Flat rate on the bearing; cause it was extra work and rate per hour for the rest. Call and ask the dealer what they would charge to R&R a clutch pack and that will put ya in the ballpark.
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

if the inner race was pressed up next to the seal it's walked in. and probably helped cause the problems with the leaking trans.

If this bike has a high HP engine and is ridden hard many folks change out the stock HD two piece bearing with inner race for Baker or Zippers one piece inner bearing,
  9. bushwackerhd

bushwackerhd New Member

Thanks for the reply
    have a good day