1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

How much weight can my bike hold

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by rkortan, Mar 10, 2009.

1. rkortan

rkortan New Member

This winter I had to do some extra work on my bike due to a slight mishap
    by my sister. I put on new saddlebags and a tour pak. I need to know how much weight I can safely put in my new carring capacity, since my bike is a 1998 dyna wide glide with the chopper fender. I never carry a passenger so I think as long as I don't get carried away I should be ok. I was thinking more along the lines of how much to pack for sturgis and any other long trips I might get to go on.
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I would think about 150 lbs about the size of a passenger, & pack it equal all around you don't want to be off center
  3. rkortan

rkortan New Member

That's about what I thought. I think I'll be ok as long as I don't put to much in the tour pak because of the leverage created by having the weight at the very rear of the fender...........Thx, Bob
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Watch the weight distribution though, you don't want to lighten the front end

That is where the dreaded wobble happens.

Buddy had a wing with full tour pack, side bags, rack bag on tour and a bag deal in the hitch vs pulling the trailer

With his sister on the back it was basically barely touching the ground on the front, said he about lost it pulling in for gas at the first stop, wouldn't hardly turn...

YOu can also put on new shocks that allow more weight from Progressive with stronger springs.
  5. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

The real trick to riding a packed-out bike is the rider's brain. Bikes can be loaded up to ridiculous weights, but then they can't be ridden the same way as an empty one-up ride. You should always try to limit the weight, though, as tire burden (resulting in blow outs) and handling become HUGE issues.

I also strongly suggest that before you make that 6000 mile road trip you take your fully-laden bike around the block, then for a 20 mile or so ride (with a chase vehicle to take some baggage if needed). Get the feel for it before you head out on the long run.

Know, too, that road conditions (wet, rough, freeway, grated bridges, heat, etc) have a much greater impact on loaded bikes. So you have to ride smarter and much more cautiously if ya want to get there and back again.

And don't forget to adjust your suspension and tire pressure accordingly!
    :cheers:
  6. rkortan

rkortan New Member

Thanks for the good advice. I plan to put on a set of progressive shocks and I will be sure to take extra care when I have the bike loaded for a trip.............bob