1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

How not to pass in a pack

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Nov 24, 2010.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Unbelievable, that has gotta hurt, helps to look first. Wonder if the car came from a blind spot. :(
  3. cardboard

Why didn't he hit the brakes and git back in the pack ?
    Tell me he didn't see it.:rant:
  4. FLHTbiker

Who knows I thought the same thing. Maybe the sun was in his eyes or he was looking only at the rider in front of him that he was trying to pass and not paying attention. Number one rule LOOK before you pass.
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

well the first guy passed in a curve & then the second passed without looking , to me it looked like they where just messing around & screwed up big time
  6. FLHTbiker

:wtf: I'm surprised the car didn't pull to the side of the road instead of just impacting into the bike.
  7. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

That is just insane!!! It looked like the person in the car had plenty of time to get on the binders.
  8. cardboard

Normally cars do not git out of yer way
  9. JohnnyBiker

I can understand if it is something a lot faster happening than that. that guy was:wtf: in the lane for like three seconds.
  10. FLHTbiker

Yea, they probably think they can't get hurt and they are probably thinking get out of the way.
    I came across a car stopped in the middle of the road up by where I live one time. The driver had just hit a deer and the deer was still alive. The driver said I saw him when I came around the corner but didn't think it would stay in the road. The corner was a half mile away. I asked him why didn't you slow down and he said well I figured it would move. That's the mentality of many of the cage drivers. The deers back was broken so I went to my car pulled out my magnum and put a round into his ear. Then the cage drive started crying, little late I told him.
  11. JohnnyBiker

Started crying???
  12. cardboard

See Cagers all the time, that are involved in a wreck. Asked them why didn't you use yer brakes.
    Well I had the right of way, they was in my lane. :wtf:

But the Cagers are always pullin out in front of me, or turning in front of me. So I have grown up to expect it.
    The Cagers most of the time, will not yield the right of Way.
    And it don't matter who is right and who is wrong, The Cagers always wins.
  13. FLHTbiker

I think it hit him that because of his stupidity that he was the cause of killing the animal or after looking at the front of his car. :rolleyes:
  14. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

My gut did a flip-flop when I saw that. Looks like the guy that was hit was way over on the right side of his lane and just darted over without looking. Tragic.
  15. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

sorry guys looking at it the time frame was short the bike was at his far left the car was on the binders and I'm going biker fault here cager was tryin to shut it down, dude on the scoot f/u.
  16. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

have to agree
    bike was clearly in the wrong
    wrong side of road,
    wrong time.

Car didn't have to go off the road
    in order to endanger himself anymore

Biker caused it, and I bet it killed him..

Sad... Stupid...
  17. cardboard

Don't matter who is in the wrong, ONe thing to remember
    The cager allways win's.......:gah:
  18. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

You got that right....

had a buddy that used to ride with me
    he'd get pulled out on or someone would cut
    in front and he would ride up to the window
    and yell at them....

Last time he did that I rode up to him at the light
    and said, "you might want to rethink your
    strategy, 1) Cars weight thousands of pounds more than you and the bike, 2) People here carry guns.

Some guy on an HD shouting through a window
    scares some old dude or gal and she just runs over him to get away.

Or pops him...

Car ALWAYS wins...
    Not worth the argument...
  19. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

So many things wrong with this video:

A - Such crappy quality that it makes one wonder why these guys were bothering to be filmed. Imagine the horror of taking so much damage for such a useless video. Can't even make out what kind of bikes they are.

B - The victim (the cager) was hard on the brakes (the rear end was going skyward) and had no chance to avoid this. I don't see how anybody can think that car had a chance with the idiot pulling out like he did. If you look carefully, you'll see that even if the car had gone off the road early enough to avoid the wreck, it was likely to have been launched airborne by the way the road shoulder was banked (you'll have to look on the car's side approach, visible up the roadside AFTER the wreck). That is a lot to ask of anyone to avoid a wreck - the bike should have been the one to eat the shoulder.

C - The perp (the idiot biker) could not have paid any attention, was drunk, or this was a suicide attempt - most likely the first, though. He didn't even attempt the pass until the other riders had closed up, and he clearly didn't judge the car's approach.

Oh well...........
  20. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

While my wife and I lived in Monterey, Ca., we just came out of the tunnel (in our VW van) headed into New Monterey, when a guy on a panhead chopper passed us on Lighthouse Avenue (4 lanes divided) and cut in front of us. I remember admiring the bike as he passed and gave him some room. There was a curb on the curve and he drifted into it going maybe 40 mph. The bike flopped over and the guy bounced and tumbled to the side of the road. He was about 40 feet in front of us. We pulled over and ran over to help him. This was before cell phones. Some other people stopped and finally a cop came and called for an ambulance. The guy was hurt pretty bad, (he wasn't wearing a helmet) but was conscious and I could smell alcohol on him. I don't know if he was drunk or not, but it seemed to me at the time he might've missed the curb if he would've been more alert. That was the only motorcycle accident I ever saw, except for the time I was slowly crossing some RR tracks that ran at an angle on a rainy day somewhere in Texas (This was in the 70s). My Honda 450 flopped over and I took a spill but was not hurt, except for my pride. I have to say, boys, that the video I saw above is about the worst accident I've ever seen on film. That dude could not have survived it. Ride safe, be alert and always assume the Cagers don't see you even if you make eye contact.