1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Hyd - Clutch Adjustment?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by bluejay864, Apr 24, 2005.

1. bluejay864

bluejay864 New Member

My brother in law has a 5 spd trans with hyd clutch. Can any one tell me if there is a adjustment, free play, rod, or what not? I rode his bike and it felt like either there was incorrect adjustment, meaning, not dissengaging all the way. Or the master/lever was not sending enough fluid to move the clutch to free. There did not appear to be any leaks, and we bled the system numerous times. Thanks for any information.
  2. CD

CD Guest

Depends on the brand / setup. Most after market will allow you to adjust the clutch rod free play the same as normal. Remove the derby cover and adjust the clutch push rod make sure you leave some free play! One good trick is to run in the adjuster a bit to push the piston back some. Then adjust the free play.

After tightening the locknut, cycle the clutch several times and recheck free play.

One of the biggest knocks (and my pet peeve) is the lack of adjustability in most of these systems.
  3. bluejay864

bluejay864 New Member

Reply -- Hyd Clutch Adjustment

CD,
    I want to thank you for the information, it will be helpful. The bike I was refering to has been sitting in a Harley Dealer for the last 2 Months. My brother in law is not mechanically inclined at all. So the people that he has been dealing must not want any more of his busness. Forgeting the the fact that he has purchased a Softtail and two Road Kings, in the last 15 years. I passed the information along to him so he can understand if they are not able to do any of the things you mentioned, they can quit blowing smoke up his ___!
    bluejay864
  4. VYBR8R

VYBR8R New Member

Hyd Clutch Adjust

The first step in bike maintenance is to BUY THE SERVICE MANUAL!!!! The adjustment for the clutch internals is explained quite well in the manual. There is no adjustment for the external hydraulic components. If the dealer can only blow smoke, find another mechanic! Can't understand why a half hour job should tie up a bike for weeks. Another way to light a fire under the smoke blower is to call Harley Davidson and let them know you are not pleased with the services provided by the dealer and let them put the pressure where it is needed.