1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Hypercharger help!

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Kimberly42, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Kimberly42

Kimberly42 New Member

Hi! I have been riding an '03 Shadow ACE (750) for about 2.5 years now and am upgrading to an 1100. (Trading with a friend who bought too much bike for her to handle). The bike has a hypercharger already installed. While I understand that it is an air intake system, I can't find much technical info on how it actually works. A quick internet search revealed where to buy one, how to install one, and discussions about whether it works. I'd appreciate any information, or being pointed in a direction where I can find some technical information.
  2. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

Hypercharger

If you go to the link below, there is a small paragraph that explains how the Hypercharger works. If the link doesn't work , then go to kuryakyn.com and look under air cleaners. Basically, it is a free flow style air cleaner that allows more air into the carb. There is a butterfly that operates on vacuum that opens up when the throttle is increased. I would guess that the carb has also been rejetted or changed out as well. This is a pretty expensive air cleaner set up and is usually installed with a carb upgrade. Basically with the two upgrades, the motor gets more air and more fuel.

Hope this helps.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/achd.asp?bn=harley&cn=Air Cleaners
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  3. Kimberly42

Kimberly42 New Member

Thanks

Thanks. I did manage to find some info on it. With the straight pipes and hypercharger, I am pretty sure the carb has been rejetted. But I am wondering about a rattle in the hypercharger when I reach a certain rpm. It makes a sort of rattle/buzzing noise that lasts maybe 15 seconds then subsides. Is that normal, or should I be looking for something loose? My old bike did not have a hypercharger, so this is a new experience for me.
  4. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

Hypercharger

I would guess that something is loose. The ones I've seen didn't make any noise. There is sometimes a round trim plate on the side that is either chrome or painted to match the bike. Put your hand on it when it does it and see if it goes away. The screws could be loose or it might not be a perfect fit. If they are just loose, put some lock tight on them and re install. If they are tight and the plate is still loose, cut a paper or rubber gasket out and install behind the plate. It should only be four screws that hold it on.

Also check to see that the screws that hold the two halves together are tight. There should be three of those. Hopefully this will all make sense when you look at it. You may even be able to tell what is loose by tapping it with the back of a screwdriver or something.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
  5. Kimberly42

Kimberly42 New Member

I will check all of the above when I get home from work today. (Took 4 wheels today, too many lab supplies to fit in my saddle bags!) Thanks for your help.