1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Hyperchargers - are they worth it

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by tjandt3, Aug 7, 2007.

1. tjandt3

tjandt3 New Member

hello everyone. I just put a stage one kit in my 06 night train and k&N filter. I also have vance and hines pipes. I wondered if anyone has installed a hypercharger and if it made that much of a difference with the HP output. Thanks for any input
  2. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

don't sound good

never heard much good about them other than they look good to some.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

welcome to the forum....i havent heard much good, with the exception that they look cool. i dont know first hand, but they seem to be a bit of trouble....maybe someone with one will chime in........have fun!!:)
  4. ReeseSS

ReeseSS New Member

Hypercharger = Hype
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Pop over the HTT site and tell that to Mike Rowland of Kuryakyn for an earfull of explaination. :fight: LOL

Here's the deal, they do work and they have been tested to work, the thing is they don't work any better than a HD SE filter or K&N Ness Big Sucker setup, there was a mag that did flow numbers and the Hypercharge was right up there with the top 5.

What they cannot test is if any difference is obtained by creating a positive air pressure area inside the hypercharger when the bike is under speed, like the hoods on the old mustangs and ram air hoods on the Mopars of the 70's.

IF you like the look go for it, it's better than stock, you can spend less if performance is your only goal but if you like the looks then have at it.

Had a black Pro series Hypercharger (wider than normal) Always liked that 70's air scoop look, now if I would just let me stuff a 5-71 under it.... :roflmao: :roflmao:
  6. tjandt3

tjandt3 New Member

Thanks for the input

I was looking up some dyno numbers on the web and none of them had hyperchargers

Thanks again for the inputs
  7. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

I have ridden two bikes with S&S Hypercharges on them. One was a 99 Sporty and the other a 93 Softail. Both of these bikes belonged to my buddy who had a fondness for the Hyperchargers. The comparison is to my own bikes, a 97 Sporty and a 99 Fatboy. Both of mine were set up with Mikuni carbs. The Sporty had a comparitively cheap Drag Specialties, free flow, open air cleaner with a sort of foam filter element. The Fatboy has a a Forcewinder with a K&N filter element. All the bikes already underwent Stage 1 upgrades prior to these set ups.

I was not able to notice any real difference between the two Sporty's or the two Big Twins as far as performance. So if they are better, it is not enough to notice in the seat of the pants test. As already mentioned, they are better than a stock set up but not better (IMHO) than any other set up that opens up the stock configuration.

The only other comment that is not looks related is this: On both the Sporty and the Softail, the Hyperchargers stuck out to the point that my knee would nearly always come in contact with it making it a bit annoying when you are aware of it. They seem to stick out quite far.

They are also very pricy in my opinion. So are the Forcewinders but I got mine used for a really good price. That's the only reason I have it..........and I think it looks cool.

Hope that helps.
  8. ReeseSS

ReeseSS New Member

This is the info that has been posted from testing in a mag and posted at several sites.

ratings in cubic feet per minute
    stock hd 165.5
    cci/halebob 197.5
    dragtron 243.3
    force 262.2
    with cover 250.8
    cci/siren 330.1
    h-d s.e. 421.8
    zippers 455.6
    ness big sucker 483.1
    rivera smoothie 499.8
    cci/cyclesmith 516.9
    don't have any numbers on the hypercharger
  9. hotroadking

I couldn't find them either, but I've seen them and talked with Mike at Bikeweek and there's been a ton of talk on HTT.

I agree they stick out, try the pro model it really sticks out but not much more than the Big filter on my S&S with the 1 inch spacer.

They really are a funky housing with a performance filter, if the housing helps any I wouldn't know.
  10. tjandt3

tjandt3 New Member

Thanks for all the resent information

I am going to order mine next week and then I will have to wait and see how things work out. I will post my experience later.

Thanks again everyone.
  11. ridehard95

ridehard95 New Member

they are not what they look like .You better off with a supper sucker works much better
  12. hotroadking

Funny that's what my wife calls me at dinner time, tells me to slow down :roflmao:

I think the best best for an air cleaner is the Ness Big Sucker, is that what you were referring to?

It's simple to install out flows most of them and keeps the stock appearance.
  13. ridehard95

ridehard95 New Member

Yup thats it I hate saying ness its all about $$$ with them . There is another company that sells the same thing for less. I run a S&S carb and the S&S air cleaner works just as good as a supper sucker
  14. hotroadking

Ness is expensive, but ol Arlen worked his way up from the bottom had nothing, made it into something spectacular, me I admire anyone that can work their arses off to make it.

Heck I'd like to do the same!:D
  15. ridehard95

ridehard95 New Member

I never said he did not work hard for what he's got .But I work hard for what I got and I will be dam if I will spend my hard earned money on a $300 dollar part because it says ness when I can buy the same thing for $175. Hay but each to there own .The way the motorcycle world is coming to your not cool with out $5000 bucks worth off bolt on sh#t any way just like the cookie cutter bikes . If you got a leather coat and a pair of sunglass your a biker .I am glad that I grow up when bikers where bikers. Just to let you know what i am talking about 2 years ago I was on my way to bike week. I pulled over on the side of the road and sat for about 45 min. having a cig and about 50 to 60 motorcycles came by no one stoped to see if I was alright. But one guy he was about 60 years old riding a old panhead he stoped to make sure i was not broke down. The motorcycle world is changing some for the good and some not so good. A leather coat chaps and a shinny bike don't make you a biker it comes from the heart its a way of life
  16. hotroadking

Yeah I understand what you're saying, some ness stuff is pricey

Interesting though just got the info for a friend, the HD SE air filter with (throw away paper filter to be replaced at $40 each) is more expensive than Ness Big Sucker with K&N cleanable filter, ya never know LOL

btw if you buy it from Jenny at Charlies HD in Charleston WV you get 20 to 25% off everyday no tax, shipped right out. In case you want or need something HD or not.

Interesting thing, I pulled over for a hardcore guy, jumpin up and down on a kickstart hell I though he's gonna have a heartattack looked tired sweatin etc, asked if he need help and he was a jerk, (saying stuff like "do I look like I'm having a problem") I figured he was mad at the bike, couldn't be me, I just pulled up LOL

So I told him "hey I thought you might need some help, if you don't stay here all day jumping on that kicker, I'd be glad to get someone to help you if you want or you can use my phone, so what do you want to do?"

He cooled off and said thanks get so and so at the Foxhead to come down and tow me home.

I smiled and said no problem.

All the time his OL was behind him laughin when I told him to screw off or take the help LOL

I always look at the rider on the side and give a thumbs up or down sign, looking for the same in return. You drop the thumb down you'll get help.
  17. fxdxsteve

fxdxsteve Active Member

I bought the s&s carb and the pipes for my 72 sporty from arlen back when he was in his old shop was on east 14th here in san leandro it was always a surprise when you'd walk in and he would remember my name what I was riding and have whatever I needed now I have to ride 15 miles to the new shop you almost never see arlen and you have to order everything and wait unless its something expensive chromed and unnecessary now since I have to order stuff anyway I go to ron simms he's still less than a mile away its good for arlen to be that sucessful but its a lot less personal now jmho
  18. ridehard95

ridehard95 New Member

Lol

Ya I know the kinda guy your taking about . I was that guy 6 years ago I hated electric start said I wound never own one and hated all that new **** EVO motors LOL now I got a 95 FLHT and love that button LOL its sure easyer the kicking . For 30 dam years i kicked my a#ss off. I do like the new harleys but will stick to my 95 its still simple. I don't like the V ROD what was Harley thinking with that
  19. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Let me do a little arithmetic... Just for a reference...

100 cubic inch motor... divided by 1728 (cubic inches in 1 cubic foot)
    X 6,000 RPM = 347 cfm. That's not taking into account air filter restriction and valve restriction. In reality that engine is probably only going to flow around 290cfm or so at 6,000 RPM.

Unless you got a blower of a turbo this is all your going to get at sea level.
  20. fxdxsteve

fxdxsteve Active Member

don't you have to factor in the compression ratio also?