1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Hypnotic Leather

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by phlsphyguy, Sep 4, 2008.

1. phlsphyguy

phlsphyguy New Member

Is it me or not? When I go into my Harley dealer I am totally hypnotized by the smell of all the leather...makes me want to max out the CCs in buying stuff! I think that is planned...the smell makes me want to buy more and more! I have adopted the "5to 500 rule" That is: If I spend more than 5 minutes in a Harley dealership, then I will spend at least $500. So, I limit my stays to under 5 minutes....
  2. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

It is a HD Dealership.

Might it be that they play subliminals (buy stuff, buy stuff now) or coat the leathers in pheromones to make you want to own more stuff.

Rules for walking into HD dealerships
    1. Only buy clothes from the sale rail.
    2. Never walk into a HD shop with a Platinum Amex Card, even better leave your plastic at home.
    3. Remember the difference between want and need. You might want that recently discounted 2008 Rocker, but do you actually need to buy it?
    4. The more alcohol you have consumed the more appealing the Chrome (oh and everything else) is. This is known as either the beer goggles effect or the willpower reduction effect. With HD stuff it is mostly willpower loss you need to guard against.
    5. Take a responsible adult with you.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

great advise ashley!!!!! thanks!:roflmao:
  4. Panthera

Panthera New Member

I don't know anyone fitting that description!
  5. ruffrider11

ruffrider11 New Member

I walk wide of the clothes and goodies try to go straight to the parts counter but even that can get you into trouble
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

A responsible adult ,My Mother lives about 1k miles away :D & I always double check the bank account before I go neer a h D dealer :rolleyes:
  7. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

5. Take a responsible adult with you.[/quote]

:( None will go anywhere with me:confused:
  8. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Love the smell of new leather, but I stay out of the HD shops. Everything is way over priced and like many others, products are now made in the sweat shops overseas. I have an older HD jacket, paid $250 for it, but it was made in the USA. Now they charge $400 and their made in Pakistan or Indonesia.:cussing:
  9. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Just like their Genuine HD chrome doodads and nicknacs "Made in Tiawan" however its spelled
  10. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I found myself browsing the emergency chrome section the other day.

Must buy parts.

Uh, how much money had been spent on my motorcycle since December... $13,500.

It's a sickness.
  11. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

Its like somebody once told me....H-D don't stand for Harley-Davidson...it stands for Hunnerd Dollars.....everytime I go to the dealer its a hunnerd dollars for this or that....I only buy what I really need or want from the dealer anymore..I've gotten alot better stuff online than I did at the dealer & paid alot less. I got my drag bars for like $50, chaps for $38, headlight for $89....I go to swap meets for parts & you cant beat this stuff....Even my new tank was $400 on line (thats with the chrome dash)
  12. Panthera

Panthera New Member

True enough! Take an item that would cost $20, throw a H-D logo on it, and suddenly it is $120. They make a lot on anything with the logo, mostly from the ones with garage trophies (from another thread) that buy anything with the logo to show that they are hardcore H-D guys to the folks at the country club. The rest of us buy aftermarket to save the money for gas so we can actually ride!
  13. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

If I see something HD gear wise in a sale and I like it, I might buy. Otherwise normally not. I'd rather spend the money on gas and go riding.
  14. Panthera

Panthera New Member

Ashley, knowing the price of petrol over there, it isn't cheap even on the cycle!
  15. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Too right Panthera. But gas does not cost a Hunnerd Dollars.. (Yet).
  16. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I dunno my trucks approaching $100 a fill up... LOL

Some of HD's stuff clothing that is, is very well made, better than the aftermarket stuff.

I found a set of HD chaps to fit my big arse, none of the "street" vendors at Bike Week had anything near as nice or fit as well, 10 years later I still have them, yeah they cost twice as much but over 10 years they cost me what $20 a year to own, and they will last, same for the leather jackets.

First one was off the rack at bike week, (hey it was cold I didn't have one )
    HD ones fit better on me and the parts used to make them so far have been good. IE nothings broken on the jackets and stuff.

Got two pairs of HD boots, engineer boots and some shorter ones for hot days, the engineers are maybe 10 to 12 years old and never fall apart.

Not saying aftermarket is crap, just that the HD stuff I've bought isn't just for the logo, it's pretty good stuff, plus I wait for 20% off sales.
  17. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

Yea...Kinda like the other day I waqnted to get covers for my head bolt...saw some on line for like $16...went to the H-D dealer & paid $32...they did have a nice bar & shield logo on em but still they were twice as much...They made the sale cause of the logo & I didnt want to wait for the stuff to come in the mail.
  18. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

unfortunatly HRK mines already over a hundred to fill and its also tire time again which has shot up also, as for the jacket it cost a hundred dollars about 7-8 yrs ago non-hd but it is holding up well, the chaps non-hd have been nice never had bike chaps before about 2 yrs ago now i wear then most of the time, but the zipper blows up and the snaps don't hold up just about have them up to hd quality only paid 60 bucks on a 50% off sale wifes are same brand paid less and they are holding up great. the boots are work boots and at the hd dealer if i want it i will by it if i think i want it it will come off the clerance table/rack
  19. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Just did the new tires myself, oh well two years before another set,

Yeah not saying aftermarket clothes are junk they are fine stuff, but
    if you've been to an event like Daytona you see everyone selling the same ol same. Bet it all comes out of china at the same plant or Mexico.
  20. phlsphyguy

phlsphyguy New Member

What year did Harley start making their stuff in China? Honestly, I do feel a difference in the HD stuff compared to non-HD stuff, but the true test is the test of time. Been thinking about a pair of HD chaps..got a pair of AM chaps and the fit isn't that great..too big in the thigh and I have larger than normal thighs from cycling..so they got to be really BIG!