1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

I know,I know!!!

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Heritage04, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Heritage04

Heritage04 New Member

I know i need to get a service manual :D ! Can't seem to remember to pick one up when i get around chrome!!! :D Just wondering what exactly the 10,000 mile service consist of? The H-D stealer!,wants 330 dollars :eek: to do it and i'm overdue a service just don't see paying $330 for a service!!!!i'm gonna start servicing myself!( TC88b ) HELP ME CD i will get a service manual! :D
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Go on www.harleydavidson.com, they have a link for service work you will need your VIN and you'll get a list, otherwise it's a pretty long list to post.

Here is a link to a site that has about every technical bullitin, recall notices, instructions, etc.

http://www.harleyhog.co.uk/
  3. Tnicean

Tnicean New Member

$330 is cheaper than my local dealer. The posted price is about $450 for a big twim, a little less for a sportster. You should be able to get a list of the service requirements from the dealer. I don't think they do all they are supposed to on the service. I have paid to have all mine done until now. I have nearly 20K miles and my warranty is nearly expired so I will do all the maintenance from now on. At least I will know that it is done in accordance with the service manual (which I did buy). Good luck.
    Tnicean
  4. Tnicean

Tnicean New Member

5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Here is the link to the service page on HD's web site all you need is your vin it won't tell HD that you are changing your own oil or anything secret like you are not using HD oil LOL

HD Wrenching

Once you do this put in 10,000 for miles and you'll get the 10K checkup list
  6. slickrick

slickrick New Member

I just had my 10 K done at the dealer and it ended up costing alot more then the number they have on the wall. ( As they will point out many things that they suggest that you change) I trust the guys at the shop, and they don't have a problem with me staying in the back and watching what they do. If you need new tires it's a good time to change them because they have to repack the barrings and the wheels are off and you might not have to pay the labor for the tire change (but they sure do like those tires! :eek: ) If you want to save a little $$$ bring in your own parts if you don't want to buy them at the shop. The expensive stuff on my bill was the front and rear brake pad kit and piston kit, and the syn3 oil. The Labor was way more then the parts and why I just bought a service manual. Most of the stuff they did didn't seem too hard, but I had just bought this bike used and wanted them to fine tooth comb it. But if you want to take the shop time to add stuff to your bike buy it and bring it in with you. As they are company men they will try to get you to buy HD stuff when there is a lot of good stuff out there. They usually wont put tires on that you dont buy at the store though. Hope this helps!
  7. slickrick

slickrick New Member

Forgot to mention

If you want to put in a ez boy ball ramp clutch kit buy one and bring it in with you. I forgot to do this and now will wait until the next fluid change to do this and I will attempt this myself and will probabbly be asking for advice. :confused:
  8. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

I had my 10K done yesterday.....total cost was around 560, but that included a new rear tire purchased and mounted....mine was so bald that on FOG damp road coming home from work the other day, I lost rear traction 1 time while down shifting and 2 times while normal breaking.....also had recent problmes on DRY roads...... old tire looked like it was a norm for the drag strip...... don't think racing slicks are legal, but that is almost what I had!! :cool:
  9. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

well you were riding your bike like your signature on the bottom of your post says... ;) rubber is one thing I don't mess with.
  10. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

dont ya just HATE looking at your tires and seeing the air in them????????????? :D
    chuck