1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

I Know It Has Been Asked........

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by South FL Deuce, Mar 15, 2005.

1. South FL Deuce

South FL Deuce New Member

probably a 100 times but here we go anyway.

2004 FXSTDI thats completely stock (bought it a year ago then started to go through a divorce, Im broke)

Well I found a small money tree and am about to do the obligatory pipes and what not.

Thinking about either the Bub Juggers I think they are called. Look sweet on their site. Or V&H Big Radius along with the Kuryakyn Hyper Charger ( new one thats coming out in May not sure on model #) which also looks sweet.

Now comes the dilema I face as have many of us. I was gonna go with this new product V&H is coming out with next month but was told by them it only works with their pipes not to mention its a brand new product. Aside from that I see tons of mentions of that PC III. Add to the mix the SE race tuner the guy at the dealer brought up which sounds awesome but at a price of 580 (which includes a before and after dyno run).

My head is spinning folks. There are so many ways to go I guess but not knowing nil when it comes to motorcycle mechanics i am lost. Let me mention that I dont plan on a stage II or whatever for a very long time. There are way too many other appearance things I can see me spending my money on rather than the motor after this initial power upgrade.

With that in mind please let the suggestions flow. Also I just read a post where a guys said he "punched out" the stock exhaust. WHat did he mean by that and is that something I can do without an aircleaner or ECM flash? Just curious. Im tired of hearing myself think when I ride.

Thanks in advance!!!

Jeff
  2. wmiconi

wmiconi New Member

Set up

I just did the same set up, KINDA. I got a Kerker 2 into 1 pipe. WOW what a beast!

Big Ness Sucker from Direct Parts with a power commander USB 111.
    I got the pipe for a clearence price. If you drop 400 on pipes from DP, you can do the stage 1 for under 800 bucks.

Your AIR INTAKE can only take in 100 percent air unless you use forced induction which a hypercharger does not do. Not saying they are bad, an extra hundred on pipes or in the bank is better.
    Power commander 111 is wonderful. Less then 300 and you can use it and tune it for what ever set up you got, get or want!

My bike feels so different with the stage one. It is a FXSTI and I hope to have pics as soon as the 13 inch apes are on it.

Post a pic for us!

I was thinking race tuner but 460, plus install, plus tuning is about six hundred. Then you need pipes and air cleaner still to get the 15 hp your twin cam 88b wants you to use.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

All those are good options

You want a complete stage 1 upgrade, that's filter, pipes and tuning.

I don't see where you'd need a race tuner per se, it's a great tool and will help you down the road much more than the others as you grow the motor which you said wasn't in the cards (yeah we all said that too LOL)

Pick whatever pipes you like, stay away from straight drag pipes as they tend to kill lower end power.

Any air filter system is better than stock Hypercharger pro is better than hypercharger but if you like the look it will do better than stock, for the money the ness big sucker or HD SE filter kit is a better buy JMHO, and I had a Hypercharger Pro at one time, liked the look.

because your bike is efi you need to adjust the fuel delivered, a PC3USB, a DFO or the race tuner will work.

As far as which one it's up to you and the main thing is, who's going to tune it for you, downloaded maps are not perfect (some times not even close) so a dyno tune is a good thing, DFO is simple to setup and probably will work in your budget (Digital Fuel Optimizer or EFI Carberizer LOL)

the folks here at DP can help you find what works with your bike.

say where'd you find that money tree I lost one last month LOL
  4. South FL Deuce

This May Sound Like A.......

stupid question but what do you mean by straight drag pipes. Are eithe rof the 2 models I am considering ( The Big Radius or the Bub Jugger Huggers) consider as such? Also can you explain what I was asking about "punching" out the stock exhaust.
  5. BGIFF3

BGIFF3 New Member

HEY BRO,
    I saw a brand new set of pipes on e-bay from the seller tomdemons1,E-bays got the best deals man.
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

V&H Longshots are a good example of drag pipes, no crossover and just two straight tubes, nice looking sound great but really won't help power, maybe even hurt it a bit.

SLip on mufflers are a better choice for a stage 1 bike.

Punched out means he knocked out the disks in the baffle for more flow and sound, it doesnt really work. Maybe a bit more noise, EFI bikes can end up chirping like a bird when this is done.
  7. South FL Deuce

So Are You Saying.....

and I appreciate all your input and help, that by using the slip ons I will get more HP/TQ vs. using those V&H Big Radius or The Bubs? Well maybe it would correct to say well rounded HP/TQ through all RPM ranges? If that even makes sense.

When I mentioned that Hyper chareger, I think it is the pro series? Heres the link to check it out its a new product http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=harley&ci=3364

Thanks again for the help I truly appreciate it.