1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

I need a key

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Turbo kid, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Turbo kid

Turbo kid New Member

I just bought a 1997 road king.I should have tried the key but didn't and now I need a key.The bike had a HD key and cover in the side bag but come to find it doesn't fit anything on the bike and the old owner is playing dumb.Can I have a key made or do I need to buy a new lock set?HELP!!!Thanks Dan
  2. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Being you are a machinist you have other options. Start with a 30” piece of 2” aluminum bar stock. Place it in your lathe rounding the corners off the first inch. Cut down to approx. 1.125” round for about 8” then begin a taper up to the final square leaving approx 13” of original bar stock on the other end. Remove from lathe, and you now have a memory key that should unlock the most stubborn memory of any former owners.

Actually with proof of ownership (registration/insurance) and the VIN from the bike any HD Dealer should be able to order you replacement keys. Only real beef may be if dumb former owner had the switch changed from factory prior.

Good luck, I can only imagine how irritating this must be.
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

If former owner can't find it , I would go the extra mile & chang all the locks , just in case the dumb former owner wants to take A joy ride , It's worth it to spend a hundred & save your bike or take a chance of not having a bike
  4. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

:roflmao:

I second Cowboy's comments, rekey! Every used bike I've ever bought has been rekeyed no matter who the seller was. You never know how many duplicate keys were made and floating around out there. It's an added expense, but if the bike gets stolen and insurance finds out it was taken with an original key it could be a hassle with the claim... aside from the obvious suck-factor of having your ride stolen!
  5. Turbo kid

Turbo kid New Member

Thanks guys a new lock set is on it's way!Dan
  6. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Memory Stick

Dan when you get around to that memory stick I'll take 2 :roflmao: :roflmao:
  7. fujimo

fujimo New Member

try this

i was at deals gap n.c. last year,,,a fellow had a 01 harley ,,,he lost his key after locked it up,,,just for whatever ,,,i tried mine in his,,,worked,,,, in ignition only,,,but it did get him on his way,,,,got friends,,,[i have very few}try one of there keys,,,pops