1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

I tried another new brake pad

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by voodoo1, Jun 18, 2008.

1. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

Any else use DPs?
    I was headed to one shop and ended up at another. I had talked to the fella about if he had any in stock and he did they were more than HDs. After his story of how 08HD pads on his(thta would stink) ride squeaked until he changed over to these DPs on his. I told him luckily,I ain't had a problem one with any pads. But the gas to get to the other store was about the difference in cost of the DPs. So after he brought them out( the wrong pair the first time I pointed out to him) I took them home and put them on. Wow either my pads were shot or these pads are worth every penny. I know they got 'em on the brimbos. so they must be prety good? anyone.

later,
    :cool:
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  2. steveb

steveb Active Member

That is the one thing on my '08 Ultra is the squeak on the rear brake. I took it to the dealer they looked at it and said there is nothing they can do. I had the same problem on my '05 .The dealer could not fix that either. I thought the Brembo brakes on the new ones would've fixed that.
  3. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

The squeak is nearly always metallic pads - organics won't squeak like that unless they get glazed over with heat, but they don't last anywhere near as long either. I've been using SBS sintered pads for several years & they almost never squeak. And you can make it stop by roughing the pad surface up with some Emory cloth - a real smooth surface & metal particles embedded in the pads against the metal rotors can cause the squeak.
  4. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

thanks

my buddy tried a set of pads that were meant for racing conditions. They did not work to well for him in the end and had to change them. guess the pads were meant to get a little warmer and used harder/often on the track compared to everyday riding.
  5. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Yeah, especially those for road racing are designed to get quite hot - they're going to anyway, so use material that can take the heat. But then they're not worth a flip for street/road riding. Another major deal is the type of rotor - pads & rotor have to be designed to work together - get a typical street rotor as hot as on a race bike & it'll warp.

With the stock rotors on the Sportsters, the SBS sintered pads have always worked well & they're designed for those rotors. Not expensive either - last set I got was about $26 from an indy shop. "Sintered" pads basically have powdered metal embedded which is different from "semi metallic" pads with steel fibers & are more prone to squeak. The sintered pads last quite well, wear evenly & don't make much noise, although walking the bike around you can hear them "shusshing" on the rotors. A more metallic or ceramic type pad would wear the rotors faster.