1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

I was forced to lay the bike down

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by gutierg, Jul 2, 2008.

1. gutierg

gutierg New Member

Unfortunately for me, this past Monday June 30th while coming home from work, a cager decided to make a left turn in front of me. I had just taken off from my stationary position and up to a speed of ~15 MPH, when the cager decided to take his left turn.

I applied my brakes with maximum effort and by the grace od GOD I stopped and fell over just inches from the car. The "foreign" driver apologized and escaped when he realized what he had done. NY license plate for which about 4 bystanders could not notice the license tag number.

$3K worth of chrome damages with a scratched headlight, broken turning signal, shattered mirror, right brake lever scratched, forward foot control and rear brake lever ripped off the bike, which means that a modular section of the tube frame has to be changed, both cannons scratched. All of this for a "soft" landing.

No injury whatsoever for me, extremely grateful there, because that windshield was looking pretty menacing the last few seconds before I put the bike down and stopped inches from his grill.

Bike is at the dealer being repaired and will be ready in about two weeks time.

German
  2. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

Good thing you're ok....I nearly laid mine down the other day 10 feet from my work parking lot. That would have sucked. I was turning into the lot from the street & a car flew up to the stop sign before I could turn in....When I hit the brakes, the rear wheel got out from under me & I threw my leg down ( I know...not supposed to do that but it worked).....Now Im thinkin...maybe I need a new rear tire.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

wow, sure am glad you guys are able to talk about this.........it sure could have been worse!!!!! we have to be carefull!!!! just on this board alone there are a number of "close calls"!!!!!!!!!!!
    please be as carefull as you can!!!!!!!!:) :) :)
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

German good to here your OK , your ride can be fixed easyer then you can
    Like Chuck said we all need to becarefull , as the cagers are all to worred about something or another & it ain't us , just about two week's ago now had a local cop pull out in front of me on his darn cell phone he did say he was wrong & should'nt have been on the ph
  5. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Sorry about the bike G, but glad you are ok. And glad you didn't hurt yourself either Dutch. I put that leg down once, and limped for over a month after I twisted my knee (rookie mistake, although I was just trying to get out from under the beast more than trying to save it :rolleyes: )
    Again very glad you guys didn't lose hide, and faired as well as you did.
  6. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Sorry you had the wreck, but glad you're OK. Too bad the offender got off, but stuff happens. And it is amazing how much a "soft" landing will cost when we put 'em down. :(
  7. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    Bear for Emperor

Sorry to hear about the near misses but thank god they were misses. Sucks having to fix a bike but paint and chrome is a lot less painful to lose than skin.
    Which brings me to a shameless plug for making me Emporer. All cage drivers would be required to have cameras so when such happened an image would be immediately transmitted to the State police....the offenders would be impaled on National TV. Think that might be a deterrent? Seriously glad you two are OK.
    Ride Free....
  8. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

you got my vote

Had a guy in a Benz do a quick lane change as I was going around him today...put me over on the shoulder. German, sorry to hear about your mishap but glad the body is OK..there are a lot of really crappy drivers out there..ride safe
  9. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I'm glad you're OK, but trust me, I know how much it suck to not have your bike right now. :gah:

Chances are, if the driver would pull some crap like that, he didn't have insurance. Although if he didn't hit you, I wonder if that would matter. Sorry to hear about it.