1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Idle throttle cam stop setting

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by NeilP, Mar 4, 2010.

1. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

I do not have an RPM gauge on this bike 04 883 XP Sporty) so cant set the idle to any particular RPM.

So.....

To adjust the idle stop screw that adjusts the butterfly position in the throat. I have been told two things:

1) Set it so you can just see a crack of light coming through....very subjective...what is just open?
    2) Set it so the drilling in the throat is just becoming visible...again similar to above....when is just visible?

So does any one have an exact figure (for the ideal) relating to the number of turns of the idle stop screw once it has made contact with the throttle cam pulley stop?
    I know it will only be a guide, but any way 1 turn 2 turns??
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

there is no set way without a tach. the brackets that hold the screw can be off and two turns for you may be 4 turns for me.....fine threads.....ya need about 900rpm..+/-. if you can, listen to another bike and guesstimate. get it a little higher than the "potato,potato" sound......or find someone with a 2 cylinder tach and hook it to the coil........
  3. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

I did have a multimeter with tach function...if I can find it...will try and dig it out.

But surely once the screw is seated and touching the cam lobe, two turns will be two turns...for whoever..I can't see the bracket moving that drastically that it is going to be contacting a totally different portion of the cam and cause that much difference.

Anyway will see if I can find the tach
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

if ya find the tach. it may be for a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder or 8 cylinder. i know there is a conversion to get a reading on 2 cylinders......i will try to find it.......
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I have seen people say they turn A full turn & when I check they went a half turn , so I showed them how to mark a spot & when it comes all the way around to where it was & tell them thats a full turn the young man now call's me instead of his Dad
  6. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Will go and look for the tach this morning. But not sure about it, but seem to remember it had three or 4 scales, each for different number of cylinders. Seem to remember it connected to the primary side. Since I have the standard ignition, and not a Single Fire system, i will be getting two sparks per cycle, so will probably have to divide by two anyway.

Cowboy, are you talking about the throttle cam stop screw or the idle mixture /EZ-Just needle?.
    I have marked my Carb body and EZ-Just, but not the throttle pulley/cam screw, that is easy enough to see, so did not see the need.

On the EZ-just, I marked a red line, when it is fully seated, a black for half a turn, blue on the quarters, and yellow on the 1/8ths. Scribed a mark on the body and filled with red paint. Makes it easy to see if it moves my itself while riding too