1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Ignition Issue?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, May 21, 2014.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

My Sportster started pinging on me. What the hell, this bike has NEVER pinged on me! I thought that it may be bad batch of gas so I drained that, put fresh in and also cleaned in line and tank filters. Took it for a nice ride it seemed to have gone away but it came back. I pulled the plugs, checked the gap and looked at plug condition closely. As far as plug condition goes, this bike is tuned perfectly, there is no signs of lean or rich conditions. PERFECT! The porcelain is undamaged. The gap was off a little from where I set mine so I re-gapped. The only thing that I remotely saw is that the strap on the front plug looks worn.

Thinking that if plugs don't cure this, maybe it is time to swith out the ignition. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  2. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

As carbon builds on top of the pistons the cyliders burn time changes and preignition starts to happen .I would service the top of cylinders with a good top engine cleaner .marvel mystery oil and seafoam mix .will take care of it .3 oz in the tank and go ride it like you stole it she wont ping anymore. After a tank full.
  3. JohnnyBiker

Three oz. Each?

4. baggerpaul

Three oz total 1.5 of sea faom 1.5 of marvel mystery fill the tank with high test
  5. JohnnyBiker

Ok. I did drop some seafoam in. I will put some MMO in on preride tomorrow. Just a minor hiccup I think.

6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I tried the seafoam once ,never again ,I use the lucas fuel treatment about every other tank & not any trouble in years
    FLHTbiker likes this.
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Is the place you get gas a big ethanol user

Look for a place that sells non ethanol fuel

One other trick is to get a spray bottle and fill with water
    When running with filter off and idle up just spray mist water into the carb it will break down the carbon
  8. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

You also need to remember that the gas today is not the best any longer. With all the alcohol added into the fuel the engine does not burn the fuel the same plus we get less fuel economy. The winter gas here is the worst. I'm like Cowboy I add a fuel treatment in all my bikes and no pinging.
  9. JohnnyBiker

Have been using gas with ethanol since I have had it. Never had an issue till now.

10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Doesn't mean you didn't get a bad batch, plus you've been riding the RG for a year and the wife the sporty, if she hasn't been riding it hard like you probably do she might not have noticed a ping.

Put some octane boost/ethanol eliminator in the tank, cheap, won't hurt and can help you rule out the fuel issue.

Part of solving problems is eliminating possibilities.
  11. JohnnyBiker

If you read through the op. correctly I stated that I thought it could be bad gas. This wasn't the maiden voyage for the sportster this year. I have 500 miles on it already. Also I finished the riding season on the sportster, not the wife. I have more miles on the Sportster this year than I do on the glide.

12. JohnnyBiker

I took HRK's suggestion and I took the air cleaner off and sprayed misted water into the throat. After that I filled up, put sea foam and MMO in. I took it out and just spanked it in ass. Can't say that I have that issue anymore. I think that I am going to use that MMO a little more often, I even put some in the oil. Runs great again. Thanks.

13. cowboy

Just watch the amount of seafoam it will eat the plugs up bad , bet that's why BP had you mix it with MMO
  14. JohnnyBiker

Sea foam isn't meant for everyday use. Whenever I have used I just pour a little bit in. The MMO is for different purposes. :cool:

15. JohnnyBiker

Thought the issue went away but it didnt. Weird thing is that it only does it from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Going to put it on the lift to check something out.

I am going to put new plugs in tomorrow.
  16. JohnnyBiker

Put the bike on the lift to take a look at the primary chain to make sure that wasn't loose. Not really expecting that to be the problem, I confirmed that it wasn't. Plugs will be in tomorrow morning so I will try that next. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

17. cowboy

ya I know about them both & I only used seafoam once & followed the lable on the can only about 1000 miles on my plugs , checked them before the seafoam use & the MMO has many uses
  18. baggerpaul

Ya know johnny I dont think its ping problem bike usally dont ping first to second or second to third there is not that much timing or advance for that matter .map sensor starts to back timing to base setting as manifold vacum decreases. Does not put that much timing advance till the vacum starts to build back up . You sure you dont have a small exhaust leak they tend to go away after the bike is fully warm like the ride you took.double check the flanges when its fully cold retorque every thing on the exhaust including the brackets and shields
    FLHTbiker likes this.
  19. JohnnyBiker

I am positive that there aren't any because with the sportster that is routine check for me. The Rpms are pretty high when I shift in those early gears so yes, pinging is viable. Brackets and all are tight. No heat shields so that isn't an issue.

20. JohnnyBiker

Another reason why I thinks it's pinging, it only does it on acceleration, never at cruising speed, in any gear.