1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Im back

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by chucktx, Sep 14, 2008.

1. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

made it through the storm. was very bad!!!!! it was scary watchin trees being broken off and thrown like toothpics, trees over 100 ft tall being uprooted and blown around. i think we got very close to a direct hit.....the 80 mph winds lasted about 10 hrs with higher gusts thrown in......dam!!! wish i would have got out!!! we sufferd no building damage....just trees....losst about 20 with a ton of branches down. i will put up some pics later. it took us 5 hrs to cut our way out of the property so i could get my truck out. no generators in this area.....found one in waco. buddy up there bought it and met him half way. we are in the bedroom with a window ac, laptop,tv. wont have power or water for at least a month. no fema for a few days either. it seems there was some type of communication breakdown...so no food,water or ice for a few days. i wonder if anybody at fema even had a radio on??????? what a joke. there is widespread power outages....i traveled over 250 miles today, no one had power. no stores, gas. femas gas supplies are tangled up in the same mess as the ice and water trucks.......such is life......i hope someones ass swings, but i know it wont happen.
  2. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

sounds like a heck of a ride chuck glad your ok, and back, maybe i need to drive to texas for my fire wood:roflmao: anyway glad your ok
  3. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

looked Nasty from up this way....Glad you're OK. Haven't heard from Goose hope they didn't get it too bad
  4. chucktx

i dont have goose's number....i would call him..........
  5. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Glad you are okay Chuck, sounds like you took a pretty good hit from Ike! Hopefully things won't take too long to get better.
  6. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Me neither.....How bad did Port Lavaca get it?
  7. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

Glad you made it through OK, Chuck. I was worried about you. Anyone hear how TRG made it in Galveston?
  8. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Good to hear you're OK. You'd think FEMA would have learned something from the last time. Keep us updated.
  9. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Glad you all are OK Chuck, that whole thing sounds scary for sure. Is there anything any of us can do for you.
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Chuck glad you're ok and this isn't about you but hurricanes and the people that stay home in them and the repercussion of making that choice.

I live in FL, safe to say I've been through a lot of hurricanes they are not things to be messed with, if the media and state tells you- GTFOD, then GTFOD. They don't want you killed nor do they want to have to expend tons of effort looking for the numbnuts that want to "stay and ride it out" like those 140K did in Galveston.

I think Chuck is over 80 miles inland? But you can see now what a big arse Hurricane can do even that far inland. Heck they have trees down in KY that killed people and took out power from the winds of the storm that hit 70 mph up there of all places.

The States of TX and LA are first responders, your local power companies and utilities will deal with the services needed and bring in crews from all over the country to get the power up.

Before blasing FEMA a few days after the storm lets consider that this was a 500 mile wide Hurricane stretching from Galveston to LA.

Everyone was told it was coming, and was bad, and to get out. If you choose to ride out the storm it's your choice not the states or FEMAS and you have to deal with the resulting damage and lack of services.

Try and setup the logistics to hand out water Ice and whatever you can to help people over a 500 mile wide area. Nobody could do it overnight much less in a week.

We had three hurricanes hit in a row, lost power each time, lots of trees down, couldn't get through but nobody was upset with FEMA, they did what they could when they could, took two to three weeks to get to our area and that wasn't a problem with me, there were others with much worse damage, complete homes lost, lives, no power for weeks.

Remember you just can't go in and turn power back on after a Hurricane, trees have to be removed from lines, homes have to be checked on the grid. Turn on the power and flame a house to the ground. Turn on the gas and blow something up.

Good thing to get the generator and window shaker, that's what I did, I bought 5 of the 5 gall gas cans, filled them all up. Hooked up the generator and lived that way for 5 days each time, loaned it to friends in my area that didn't have power for a week or more, some up to two weeks.

So don't jump on FEMA so quickly, the State is the first line of response, federal is there helping. It takes time to get to several million people with a few thousand workers.

Galveston and the coast is the first priority, you have to find and help all those idiots that stayed.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  11. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

Glad ya made it through it safely.. my prayers were goin' out to all those Texans caught up in Ike. Gotta be devastating to those who lost out. Red Cross needs help to help those in need. My best bro...:)
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  12. chucktx

there seemed to be a big mix up with communications, acording to the gov and mayors around the state. that is all i know, what i see at the news conferances broadcast on the tube.......
  13. hotroadking

Have a friend that worked with Motorola to put lower LA back together took 2 years to get all the comm worked out and going ...
  14. drillsarge

drillsarge Active Member

Glad yall are okay. We did get the high winds up here. The I-71 corridor from l'ville to cincy had sustained winds at 50mph and gusts to 80. BAD MOFO to drop the hammer 1500 miles away.
  15. chucktx

cell service is starting to come back.....gonna call cowboy tomorrow......
    here are a few pics.....

Attached Files:

16. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I know of a guy (brother of an ex-wife of a husband of a friend - not someone anyone thought real highly of) who thought it was a good idea to get drunk and go out in a boat on a lake in Ohio at night with the remnants of Ike coming through. Not sure when the funeral is. Stupid, but surprising it was still that bad by the time the storm got to Ohio.
  17. chucktx

few more....and the last pic may be this weekends feast......free range chickens!!!!!!!!!!!mmmmmmm:)

Attached Files:

18. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Chuck good to see you made it , we had some house damage , shop damage sheds (3) gone , house is very liveable & we have power , but we got out & came back lost about 25-30 trees
    ironhorse do want ceder fire wood or oak or ash , were keeping the pecan trees for the BBQ pit :D it's a heck of a mess here havent heard from TRG in a good while now (6 Months) so have no idea how they did ,I'am only about 65 miles from Chuck , but we all got realy lucky here family all good & insurence will take care of the rest :rolleyes:
  19. hotroadking

Glad you two and families are ok.

That was a mutha of a big storm lots of wind, - lots of damage

Pecan trees for the smoker, at least you didnt have to cut them down.

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you (pun intended):p