1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Im thinking..

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by chucktx, Aug 22, 2009.

1. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

of a new seat for my 06 flht. gonna go mustang. they offer two styles. a smooth one piece dual and a regal one piece dual.....anybody have thoughts which would be more comfortable????? or maybe i have over looked a more comfortable seat??????:)
  2. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

I like mustang seats... Bought a solo after my wife left me and love it... Not sure which ones you looking at, but they are a comfortable seat for sure...:)
  3. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Call Steve! Actually, he doesn't make the seat pan. Get the one you like for the looks, and then he can mold it to fit you. :D Or send him the one you have now. He can shape it to fit you perfectly and cover it anyway you want, and it may cost less than buying a new one.

I like Mustang because you can try the seat for 10 days and send it back if you don't like it. At least you used to be able to.
  4. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I don't think one is more comfortable than the other, altho the pillow look does "look"more comfy, but the way the buttons are would create little pockets for rain to puddle in and water could soak in thru the button holes.(that happened on a pillow style seat I had on the RK last year). I recently got a smooth mustang for the road king and the covering is not as heavy(heavy rain soaked thru) as the covering on the ones I have for the softail and sporty(100% waterproof)
    Overall, it would come down to which seat you like the look of best, with either one you and the wife will have "happy butt", they are great seats.:devil:

Chuck just flipping thru Mustang's website and came across this;

What is the difference between your Smooth and Regal Style seats? Which is more comfortable?
    Both styles of Mustang seats use the same seat foam on the same baseplate and each style provides equal comfort. The outer covering of most styles are glued to the foam for a snug fit. The cover of the Regal style, however, is gathered ("tufted") and held down with covered buttons, this allows the seat cover to attain the "pillow" look.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  5. chucktx

thanks!!!! i didnt see their comparison of the seats.......
  6. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Gotta say my favorite seat was the smoother Mustang, it never stopped being comfortable, even after 300 miles.
  7. broncoman

broncoman New Member

Why do you hang the American flag upsidedown? To me this is anti-american. I am new here on tech talk but I dont like to see this display of disrespect anywhere within our borders, and certainly not when talking about an American made motorcycle. This is my thoughts " live in America, buy American! If you don't like America, GET OUT!!!"
  8. chucktx

if you will do a bit of research on the american flag, you will find out that flying the flag upside down is NOT disrespectful....it is a universal sign of distress.....in all wars, if troops came upon a settlement with the flag upside down, it meant the settlement was "distressed" or under siege, ect. i fly it upside down because i feel the U.S.A. is in distress....we allow illegals to invade and roam, and infringe on legal american rights. our govt is out of control and needs overhauling. the aclu is a frickin joke....just a bit of history of the american flag.......google it up, it is all there in black and white........
    have a great day and enjoy your research........:)
  9. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

:eek:Geez, broncoman, maybe a little less caffeine in your morning brew? Chucktx is anything but disrespectful to our flag and country. He just wants it to remain the flag of a country that protects her citizens' freedoms, freedoms that have made this country the most envied in the world since about 1789.

Not that I don't respect your sentiment with regard to the Anti-Constitution losers that actually do desecrate the flag and want to our restrict lives, liberty and our pursuit of happiness...if I'm interpreting you right.

As to seats, I've enjoyed my Mustang for thousands of miles, usually hundreds at a time. But HOT01's seat crafter would be worth a look if I were in the market. I have to add that the back rest function makes any ride so much more comfortable that I just don't ride without it anymore, even though mine is removable.
    :cheers:
  10. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

Hate to say this Broncoman, but most of the Harley is manufactured elsewhere. It is assembled in the US of A... If all parts were manufactured in the US of A then it would be american!!!:)
  11. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Don't worry Chuck I'm Canadian and knew the symbolism with your flag and thought it was well known I guess not to those who's necks have gone past the red zone:confused:
  12. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Ok, well he's new here so let's not hammer him too quickly guys. I, like Red, respect his sentiment with regard to the anti constitution losers.....Although, he might want to switch to half decaf like I do.....:roflmao: :D
  13. Studds

Studds Active Member

Chuck I admire the way you tell it like it is. Just realized (after looking at your profile, your
    12 days older than myself) we think a whole hell of a lot alike. I don't know if it bothers us more, due to our age, that things were not supposed to be like they are in the U.S.A. today. God Bless America!
  14. chucktx

i have the detachable backrest, and i love it!!!! just looking for a bit more comfort in the seatarea....the stock seat seems to get hard after about 150/200 miles.......
  15. chucktx

i agree, he may be young. everybody has to learn stuff. i llike his gumption and the fact he saw something and spoke up.....rare these days....hope he comes back to post more......with a bit less caffeine!!!!!:roflmao::roflmao:
  16. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I still run a stock pillow seat , Now My brother has a mustang pillow on his 98 ultra look's just like the stock seat , but way more comfortable , I have riden his bike a few time & i could tell the difference while riding but not on just looking
    broncoman come back & enjoy the ride here , I to have the respect for OUR County as both you & chucktx ,I did have the pleasure of meeting chuck & he's top notch & all American & just enought older then me to be a older brother :cool:
  17. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

I can agree with admiring the willingness to speak up. That is pretty rare these days. In certain circles however, speaking your mind about things you obviously have no education on may well land you a scholarship to Hard-Knocks University.

You give no information about yourself in your profile, your first post is attacking one of ours, you don't even tell us what American Motorcycle you ride, and share your "thoughts' (read opinion by me) as if it were important. This isn't the place to discuss Flag Etiquette or history. Go back do some research and quit listening to the American Corporation Propaganda Drums. When you figure out what being a Real American is, then come back and apologize like a man to Chuck and thank the rest of us for helping you see the light.

My thoughts as if they were important, are like this: If you were anything other than a Troll just looking to stir the pot you would have simply asked your question and allowed Chuck time to answer. Better still it could have been handled man to man in a PM and never disrupted Chuck’s question. Given you didn’t have enough respect to handle this in such a manner I feel you are some punk who hasn’t had enough education at HKU. You seem well positioned for acceptance and your first round of classes. You probably don’t even ride and if you do you have a pretty little garage ornament that you take out like some school girl with her Barbie to the local “Bike Nite” and act cool with your other RUB friends. However like you about Chuck I could be wrong about you, man up and prove me wrong.

Chuck my apologies for disrupting your thread, but for some reason this crawled all up on my last nerve sideways. I haven’t ridden a Mustang Seat, but a bunch of my soft rear friends have them. They all love them. I think one of my friends would park his bike in the living room and watch TV on his if he could get it up the steps and through the front door. He swears his Mustang is more comfy than his living room suit. Go figure LOL. Between my friends they have both. Just setting on them I can’t tell any difference in them other than when it rains (which has been most of this year) the regal holds water like said before. However, unlike you most of my soft rear friends won’t or don’t ride in the rain much LOL.
  18. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

The "Buy American" idea is a good one, but it has so many aspects and complications, it's become almost impossible to actually do. Unfortunately, that cat was out of the bag a long, long time ago. "American" businessmen and politicians sold us out by allowing trade imbalances. No way we could compete with countries paying fifty cents an hour wages. So, instead of adding a fair tariff, thereby equalizing labor costs, making for the competition to be about quality, we get jobs lost, American employees underpaid and the quality of life improved in other nations first. Those who profited from these practices now get to enjoy their wealth and be smug about their success. I see nothing wrong with fair trade amongst our allies and trying to help other countries, I just think we should put America first. Funny, those who preach "America First" are the very ones who allowed billions to be wasted in that insane place we call the Mideast. Apologies for the rant here, I think this is more appropriate in its own thread, but the subject was brought up here and I couldn't let it pass.

Let us know what you decide about the seat Chuck.
  19. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I know from time to time we get comments about HD's being assembled but not produced here, that's not entirely true, I know Showa forks but hey that company makes top notch forks, and HD sourced out the part, cheaper, faster, easier...

that's just the way it is.

However I've been to York and the Tonawanda plant in Milwaukee and can validate that much of the parts are USA Made. At the Engine plant they Have CNC plants making the heads, cyl, and cases, they make a lot of in house parts, pure USA steel/aluminum and USA made parts.

In York I watched them stamp out the steel from flat sheets for fenders, tanks etc.. That's made right here in the USA... So some of the electronics might be made elsewhere but when it gets down to it, HD is USA through and through and the moola stays here for the most part...

Back to seats, I don't care for mustangs just the way they fit me, but three friends that have them love them.. One has the two piece on an Ultra and loves it with the backrest,

I have the Corbin Dual Tour on my heritage it's 9 years old and looks new (thanks to LeatherNew) I like the firmer saddle of the corbin and the fact that it drops me into the frame more,

On the 09 so far after a hot summer the stock seats been fine, can't complain...

To Broncoman, Chuck is about as American as it gets, you need to get to know him and others better before firing out, I can understand your distaste for improperly treatment of the flag... Now that you know the reason perhaps a bit of an apology is in order...
  20. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

I guess part of a seat preference is the butt that goes in it! Occasionally at HOG rides I've asked other HD riders if I could sit on their bikes for a few seconds to check out the seat and they were glad to be of help.