1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

In Case of a Flat

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, May 26, 2008.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Do you carry anykind of kit to fix the tire and which way will you choose to air the tire back up ??
  2. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Since I run tubeless tires, yes - a simple plug kit you can get @ any auto parts store. Had to use it twice too. As far as airing the tire back up, air-compressor. I've got one @ home & in the area I live you don't have to go very far to get to one.

I'll go to where the compressor is first too. For example, I picked up a sheet-metal screw in the front tire on one bike & didn't remove it immediately. The tire was losing air, but so slowly I was able to ride back home. Had I not been so close I'd have gone to a gas station, etc. then removed the screw & plugged the tire there.

I don't recommend riding very far on a plugged tire, but you can if you plug it right to begin with & the puncture is in the main body of the tire, not the sidewall.
  3. cardboard

4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i am not sure if i would want anything but air in my tires.................:)
  5. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

when i was living in new mexico, i had a suzuki ts 125 enduro bike and it would pick up thorns and such when i rode in the desert. i got tired of patching the tube two or three times a week. so i put some of the tire slime in the tires. worked good. when it sat for more than a few hours the slime would settle to the bottom of tires. the tires bounced up and down from the imbalance for the first few miles untill the slime flowed all around the tires then it was fine. if it sat for a few days the slime would unseal some of the holes, but if you kept an eye on the pressure it was ok. the bike didn't go over about 60 mph. on a bike that would run along at 75 plus the balance might be effected. but the fixaflat stuff in the spray can balances ok, so i guess it will be ok.
  6. cardboard

7. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

A few years ago I got a flat tire on the rear tire out on a very lonely stretch of road with no cell service. I carry a tire plug kit and it is the kind that has the mushroom style plugs. I plugged it and then with my small foot pump that I bought in Reno during Street Vibrations I got enough air in it to ride 80 miles to Denio NV. The whole town consists of a small restaurant, gas stop, motel combo where I filled it up with air. Spent the night there and then road the 475.00 miles home without loosing any air.
    Two weeks ago I picked up a nail in my rear tire on a HOG chapter ride. Checked the air pressure a few times during the ride and decided sense it was holding air that I would leave it in until I got home. Good thing as it was a 3 inch nail. The bad thing was the tire only had about a thousand miles on it. I don't recommend riding on a plugged tire even with the best plugs except to get to where the tire can be changed.
  8. Julian Kent

Julian Kent New Member

Riding with plugs

I can understand your concern about riding with plugs in the tyers but I have done it loads of times and never had a problem. Am I crazy or do the garages just try to scare you into buying a new tyre?
  9. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

NEVER HAD A FLAT, KNOCK ON WOOD:roflmao: PICKED UP A SCREW BEFORE AND PULLED IT OUT AND IT ONLY WENT INTO THE TREAD, BEEN LUCKKKY, GOT A NICE 1/4 " SLICE GOING ON MY SIDE WALL NOW:roflmao: KEEP PUSHING MY LUCK, ONLY HAVE ABOUT 500 MILES ON THE TIRE, I WON'T DRIVE ON THE FREEWAY FOR SURE, SO I TAKE THE CITY ROADS WHICH AT BEST I CAN GO 35, I'LL CHANGE IT SOON, JUST WAITING ON OTHER ISSUES BEFORE I SINK MORE MONEY INTO THE BIKE, MIGHT NEED TO PUT IT INTO THE BICYCLE:roflmao: OR WALKING SHOE'S:roflmao:
  10. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

last year I got a nail in my new rear tire ,( about 500 miles on it ) put a plug in & forgot about it , just put a new tire on the rear & the plug was still in the old tire about 10 k miles ,had a few burn out on it as well , so a plug will work
  11. FLHTbiker

Cause your riding on two tires not four. If you ever have a blow out or suddenly loose air in a rear tire at freeway speeds I hope your alive to talk about it. It can be a extremely scary time trying to get stopped, keep it under control all without using your brakes. If it happens in a front tire it will even be more difficult. I'll still replace any plugged tire. Will only ride a plugged tire until I can either get home or to some place where it can be replaced.
    By the way if you know this or not but applying a rear brake with a rear flat will cause you to go down. Never apply rear brake on a rear flat at least until your speed has slowed enough so that the rear is not fish tailing back and forth.
    Last edited: May 27, 2008
  12. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

I just carry a can of fix a flat and the plug kit. I don't care if the tire is brand new, once it's been punctured it gets replaced. My butt is worth more than a tire. Al
  13. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

If you read the lable alot of those "fix a flat" tire repair kits say not to use em on motorcycles. Ive had a tire plugged too & where Im not too keen on it, Id rather do that as a temporary fix than to use crud in my tires. I had a situation a couple of weeks ago & since my tire was getting old anyway, I just replaced it.....no need to mess around when it comes to your tires.
  14. cardboard

Check this out !

Read where the mushroom plugs are the best. Others liked the stickey rope plugs. And somebody else had to use the pocket plugs and fix a flat to make it 600 miles cause the heads of the mushroom plugs were being eat into. Does anybody know which method will work the best.

Avoid The Tow Truck - Fix Your Own Tire! Video
    Last edited: May 27, 2008
  15. FLHTbiker

I have had real good luck with the Stop and Go mushroom tire plug kit.

Attached Files:

16. Julian Kent

Julian Kent New Member

In case of a flat

Obviously riding with a plugged tyre is a bit risky and I appreciate the advice but both Cowboy and myself have ridden with a plug for thousands of miles and got away with it. Does anyone know if tests have been carried out to see what the risks are or do you know someone that has had a plugged tyre go on them?
    I feel that if its just a nail or screw that has punctured the tyre it can be repaired fairly safely i.e. plugged and patched on the inside.
    Don't know how much a tyre costs you guys but in England they cost a minimum of £100 for a half decent tyre for a rice rocket and if its a new trye thats been punctured thats money down the drain and really annoying.
  17. FLHTbiker

Maybe the ones who had a plugged tire go out on them didn't live to talk about it, food for thought! :rolleyes:
    I hated replacing an almost new tire recently after a 3 inch nail punctured it but I guess now I at least have piece of mind.
  18. cardboard

Heard a reply from some dude in the UK say they use ultra seal in their tires from the time they are new. Anybody heard of it.

Also seen a write up that the military uses it.

Navigate
  19. 2fastnaz

2fastnaz Moderator

I've ridden on plugged tires for miles and miles and never had an issue. One thing tho there are special plugs for bike tires that go from the inside out. Not out side in. Using plain old car tire plugs only till I can get it replaced.

I just run tubes in every thing now