1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Indian Thunder Stroke 111

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Lucifer, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

The features on the site are pretty neat. I went to the Engine animation and I had to do a double take when they briefly showed the valve train. Three cams. 1 in the middle and up, and then one off to each side and down. On the cams that are on the outside, there is only one one valve being operated as opposed to two being operated on the center cam. But still have the correct geometry for the single push rod tubes. Innovative, but not sure that I like it....:confused::confused:
  3. Lucifer

I think they're on to something...finally built a modern Indian engine...they're crank is better than Harley's...betcha there's a few guys wish they had a forged 1 piece crank instead of a pressed one with run out .004-.012"...run out won't be an issue with Indian's...
    Just depends on the chassis they come up with....
    If they produce a Chief and a Scout with realistic competitive prices i think they're going to do well...:cool:
  4. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Pricing is their biggest problem.
  5. Lucifer

It has been,if they produce a couple of models and are competitively priced with Harley,I think they could make a go of it this time...I wish them luck...competition in the market place is a good thing...:)
  6. Fatboy128

Amen brother. Certainly they would keep Harley on their "toes".
  7. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

8. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

'Could get a CVO Ultra for less $$. And be better off, Service,parts,trained techs.Dealer locations.Proven product. Too risky $wise to get an Indian. JMO plus I don't happen to care for the overall look,JMO
  9. Lucifer

Yep, that's their 2012 Model and prices with the Power Plus engine,for their niche market.... 2014 is when the new bikes with the new Power Stroke engines will be available which I believe is when they're going to try to go head to head with Harley...If they keep those prices they have now(2012),they won't sell enough bikes to make production worthwhile...
    How much was a CVO Heritage or Road king in 2012??
  10. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

I would like to see some U.S. competition as well, they have usualy had a good product as far as I could see (when in business). Though would like to, I have never owned one, friend ran across a 1937 powered with a 1948 I believe it was, ran when parked about 15 yrs ago. been sitting in the barn behind some old cars.
  11. Fatboy128

That's another Indian concern "when in business". I realize new owners are a big organization but no corporate giant will keep a loser.
  12. Lucifer

No they won't,not if they wanna remain a corporate giant;) To me it appears they're taking their time and doing a lot of work,they built a modern Indian engine,which is something none of the other attempted re-births did...and are showing it around a year before they start putting it in bikes to create a little buzz/interest in what they're going to come out with...then engine looks pretty good to me and looks solid...also the Victory's Polaris puts out are mechanically sound(just fugly)so if they come out with a decent looking chassis and no gawdy sheet metal they could have a better seller than the Victory...
  13. Fatboy128

Yeah man, they say beauty Is in the eye of the beholder but the Victory flagship is to far out there for my eyes.
  14. FLHTbiker

Yep and I agree :)
  15. Lucifer

heh.. bet my buddy would like to have that 1 piece crank...found out why his 2000 softail was sumping...scissored crank and the counter balancer sprockets spun on the shaft...
  16. Fatboy128

That s_cks. Years ago I had an 1100 Suzuki with a roller bearing and pressed crank. Vance & Hines used to drag race the engine I had. It was a weak spot in an otherwise very fast engine for it's time. I developed a bad roller bearing and ripped the engine down. While the crank sat in the engine half, I could feel that the crank wasn't true by slowly spinning the crank. I sent the crank off to V&H to have the bearings replaced, true and WELD the crank. When I got it back man it spun so freely in the engine case it was amazing compared to stock.

Point of the story; maybe the cranks can be welded for high performance use?!?
  17. FLHTbiker

Fatboy, like you new Aviator pic and your signature pic is pretty cool looking.

Had 4000 miles on a new 99 Roadking and it started puking oil out the carb. Then it puked all the oil out. Put it in a trailer and hauled it back to the dealer. Got a free rebuilt motor that they bored bigger (said the cylinders were scored) and she had a lot more power. Put Harley's Big Bore carb on it and after all that, the bike really pulled strong. Yea, they replaced the cams with new stock ones.
  18. Lucifer

This is the second time for that motor....He used to wrench for the local dealer here when he bought the bike and when he asked about the extended warranty,they said "No need,we'll look after you if anything goes wrong" haha...he was on a road trip with his wife when the balancer bearings took a dump...regional rep warrantied everything except the crank and the cases and upped the counter bearings to SE... when we took it apart,there was scoring on the crank which we thought shouldn't have been there,but they said "No,crank is fine...1500 miles later there's a noise from the counter balancer side and no oil in the oil bag...BP even helped us out with things to go over before splitting the cases again trying to find out why it was sumping...I even mentioned to my buddy that the only way I can see that it's sumping is if the crank is way outta spec breaking vacuum in the pump letting it drain because everything Paul said to check ,checked out...he was pretty disgusted and never touched the bike for over a year...top end is in good shape,but he's going to try to get the crank and cases replaced because they should have been included in the 1st rebuild....We'll see how that pans out...:rolleyes:
  19. Fatboy128

Man you got me scared with my 95 cu in TC B :eek:
  20. Lucifer

Well, how 'bout I say those bottom ends are supposed to be the strongest TC's with the Timken tapered bearing instead of the rollers they went to in '03...

Luck of the draw with that motor....musta been either a first thing Monday or a end of day Friday motor...but back on subject...The new Indians won't have any issues like that with the 1 piece crank they're using....HD should take note...