1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Info on older harleys

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by troy boy, Sep 8, 2004.

1. troy boy

troy boy New Member

Hi there,well this is my first post.I am looking at buying a 1986 FXRS with a fat boy front end.I have been told by a few people that older harleys are too much trouble and always break down and need repairing.Is this correct?Or are the new EVO motors better than older motors?Some info regarding this matter would be appreciated as i dont know what to do.
    Cheers
  2. scout943

scout943 New Member

Older Harleys

If you can do the mechanical work yourself they are ok! My 72 Sportster has never left me stuck anywhere and its simple to work on!! :)
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Nothing wrong with older bikes, any model, it depends on how it was ridden and cared for and who owned it. Any bike treated like crap will pay you back with crap.

As for motors, Evos are plentiful and easy to work on, as well as get a shop to work on or find parts, getting a shovel shop is getting harder, nothing wrong with them they are basically a "pre-evo" design motor so a lot is similar but a lot is different.

At some time the twin cam is going to be outdated, everything changes.
  4. troy boy

troy boy New Member

troy boy

Thanks guys for the replies.Was told by one guy at work to go and buy a Japanese bike.But they dont cruise like a harley.And I have heard you can ride harleys all day and you dont feel that sore when your finished.Well I will have to go and get the one i was asking about.
    Cheers
  5. coldtoe

coldtoe New Member

long cruise on harleys

I can attest to that business about long cruises. I had rods etc. put in my back a couple of years ago. 14 months after the surgery ( I was out of work for 3 months), I rode my 03 FXD with factory seat 570 miles one way. When I got there and hopped off my scoot, I felt fine. The same trip 3 weeks later in an 03 trailblazer had me hurting after 300 miles. Hard to beat the comfort for long riding of a Harley! :) This past August I did an even longer one day ride and the same results... I felt fine. In my earnest, insignificant opinion...you can have all the others. I'll take a Harley every time.
  6. troy boy

troy boy New Member

troy boy

Thanks for the reply.A couple of mates have got Harleys and swear by them.Japanese bikes seem to have you sitting to upright,thats why i like the laid back cruiser.My mates have a motto that says Japanese is crap,harley is gnarley.I can see what they mean.
    Cheers :D
  7. usahellas

usahellas New Member

older hds are like red wine

An old HD is like red wine they only get better with age. Well if you take good care of your HD it will last a life time. Japanese bikes are like Aluminum cans good for recycling. :D HD did go through a bad quality time with AMF but that was some time and spare parts ago. May my old Kawasaki Ninja rest in peace and not in pieces BUT give me a HD over a Japanese bike anyday.

IMHO HD rules and Japanese bikes are a nice copy of the original but still only a COPY!! If you get the chance then take the original. :cool:
  8. ironhead

ironhead New Member

give me a old one anytime

i've got a 20 yr old sportster...other than a carb-rebuild(which only had to be done after my exhaust "incident"...check my other posts!!) i have done absolutely nothing to my bike after 23,000 miles!! it has great compression,shifts smooth,and vibrates so bad at 65-you swear you'll never have kids again!(just the way god intended iron heads to be) you take care of your harley,it will take care of you....frequent oil and filter changes with QUALITY oil and parts,check for things coming loose periodicly,and don't pretend your one of the "BIKER BOYZ" and go through the gears between every stoplight, and your bike will always be there for you...it is good for them to occasionally rod the hell out of them lol ;)
  9. troy boy

troy boy New Member

Thanks for the replies.After some extensive reading on this site i have come to the comclusion that a good harley will never die it will just get better.cant wait to get mine. :D
    Cheers guys