1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Installing Bearing Races

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Lucifer, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Getting rid of the ching chang bearings that were in the new front wheel going on the Evo....Timkens going in...
    The wheel hub is powder coated black and what I was planning on doing was to use my heat gun to heat the hub and put the races in the freezer to ease the installation...

My question is will the heat gun be OK to use on the powder coated hub??...I bought the wheel about 3 yrs ago so the coating should be well cured but I really don't want to have the coating soften and run...
  2. prodrag1320

prodrag1320 Active Member

shouldnt be a need to heat the hub,freeze the races &youll be fine
  3. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Powder coat can still soften, I'd be careful with the heat bro.
  4. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Yeah...no heat...I'll do what Kirby suggested,just freeze the races and they should go in easy enough...I do have a race remover/installer...I was just going to try to cheat a bit with the hot-cold and drop them in and just a tap with the installer to make sure they were home...Thanks fellas:D