1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Installing my own tachometer hard?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by joejoe, Sep 17, 2004.

1. joejoe

joejoe New Member

I have an '01 Dyna FXD that only has a speedometer. I purchased a HD tach that came wit hte dual mounts and all the hardware. It actually looks pretty nice in the box. Now I need to install it or pay the dealer over $100 and be wothout my bike for a few days. Has anyone out there installed one of these from scratch? Is there going to be a bunch of splicing drilling and removing par parts? I'm pretty handy and have all the tools. I just don't fee like spending 3 hours on a sunny Saturday monkeying around wiht this to find out I have to take it t the stealer anyways. Think this will be easy or hard?
  2. IRJAY

IRJAY New Member

I did mine a couple years ago. It's good to have a tach.
    Takes about an hour or so. The instructions for mine were great.

Good luck

Jay
  3. stroker103

stroker103 New Member

tach

20 minutes, tops
  4. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

I did one on a 99' Fatboy. The hardest part was routing the wiring through the sheet metal on the forks. The directions were very clear and it's a pretty easy job. Save the $100. Good Luck!