1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Insurance

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cuedude, Jul 1, 2006.

1. cuedude

cuedude New Member

Anyone know anything about Safeco Insurance? I just got a quote from them, but I've never heard of them. Are they dependable? Anyone ever had a claim with them? Inquiring minds want to know.

Roger :confused:
  2. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

How Much Are They Ask'n?
  3. cuedude

cuedude New Member

$519 a year. I've gotten quotes as high as $3100 a year. This is why I'm concerned.
  4. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

Thats Crazy, What Kinda Bike Are You Try'n To Cover? Are You Under 25? Have You Try'd Progressive? Depending On Where You Live, Mine Runs About 200-300 Full. You Could Try Pemco I Got 2 03's With Full Coverage For 94 A Month Don't Know If They Do Bikes. If Your Brave Or Dumb Whichever Wa. Dose'nt Require Insurance On Bikes, Go Figure
  5. cuedude

cuedude New Member

He11, it's progressive that said $3100!! And I'm 53. What I'm trying to cover is a 2004 VRSCB. I'm going to check out my local Insurance guy here when I can. In the meantime, I'm gonna check out your suggestion. Thanks for the help.

Roger
  6. Goose

Goose New Member

Jeez, an 18 year old on an R1 pays that sort of rate here! That's outrageous. Full coverage on a touring or standard style bike down here is about that 400-500 a year range from progressive and others. I just have liability on my bikes, $55 a year for TWO motorcycles. I don't have un-insured motorist either, figure my major medical will work.
  7. cuedude

cuedude New Member

Geico's quote was $809, full coverage, with uninsured motorist. Before I go on, there is a detremental factor I haven't mentioned. Here in the Keys, there is no MSF courses offered. You would have to ride your bike to Miami, take the course, then ride back. I don't have the endorsement. That's pro'ly what's raising the cost. Records good, no tickets, or accidents. Listed by the State as a Safe Driver. (Don't know how much water that holds, but I thought I'd throw that in.) I think I'd rather go with Geico, than someone I"ve never heard of.

Roger
  8. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

Well I Think Your 1st Problem Is Your Ride'n A Speed Demon, I Don't Think It Even Matters What Age You Are. My Step Son Was Getting Insurance For A Old Beeter Car, I Thought It Would Be Cheeper For Him To Go On Mine, Not The Case It Would Have Jumped My Premium Up Like 300-400 Percent. I Told Him Your On Your Own Dude Good Luck. But For Me It's Dirt Cheap No Accidents Or Tickets Except A No Helmet In Ely,nv. Good Luck On Your Search!
  9. Goose

Goose New Member

It's weird, though, but a naked bike or cruiser isn't that bad, no matter the motor or horsepower. But, you put plastic on it, get ready to grab your ankles. For instance, an FZ1 Yamaha with a slightly detuned R1 engine isn't, but about $600 a year for over 25, but get an R1,basically the same motor with a few more ponies and plastic body work, but because it's sport, it's in the thousands per year. That's one reason I got a SV650 for a sporty bike. It's semi sport, semi naked, and has a naked bike's insurance rates. Even the SV1000 ain't bad, not like a 600 -1000cc fully faired sport bike.

I think it's all the squids who crash the sport bikes that do it. They don't buy VRods or SVs or anything that doesn't say GSXR or R1/6 or CBR or ZX on the faring. VRods and other performance cruisers and SVs and FZ1s and FZ6s, the naked or semi naked standards and sport standards don't get crashed so much, the squids don't ride 'em, and normally the guys that buy 'em have a few miles under their belt. It's all about what gets crashed and what don't. I can't grasp $3100 a year for a VRSCB, just an out right rip off IMHO.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  10. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

there is one other thing that rates are based on,,,,,,,credit,,,,if you have poor credit your rates are through the roof......the better it is the better your rate......go figure
    chuck
  11. CD

CD Guest

Progressive is on of those companies that the rates are based on "risk factors" as they once put.

Age, how long have you ridden?, past history (wrecks, tickets), credit history and the risk factor of the motorcycle (like a V-Rod). They probably factor in other things like riding season, typical weather, accident and claim average for your area. Don't forget possible Lunar Eclipse, Bad and Good Karma and whatever else comes to mind at the time.
  12. SK

SK New Member

Mine's a group bike thing.

'04 Yamaha FJR1300 (lot's of plastic! & they paid in 24hrs when some idiot knocked my bike over in the parking lot)
    '96 Yamaha Royal Star (1300cc)
    '83 Yamaha XS650

GEICO - $719 a year..all except the XS650 at full coverage.
  13. cuedude

cuedude New Member

One more thing that may be a factor. Hurricanes. I lost one last year. It was uninsured when Wilma came calling. This one will be insured. If I loose it, I'll get something for it. Salt water is rough on bikes, really.
  14. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

I Think Cd Nailded It, Age And Location.