1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

interchangeability blues

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by basket case king, Mar 15, 2005.

1. basket case king

basket case king New Member

have 1991 fxst basket case bought 1996 fxst primary and trans set up. i put it on and the primary chain is out further in front than rear i even have spacer out between stator and compensating sprocket its not off by much but it is off any answers will be greatly appreciated. Shovelheads are so much easier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. CD

CD Guest

They don't call 'em basket cases for nuttin!

Take a look at the rotor spacers first. What year is the rotor / stator? Splined?

If you look at the breakdowns there is only one spacer on the inside between the rotor and crank and one to the outside. Then, there is a sprocket spacer that goes between the outer spacer that varies in thickness as needed. Make sure you have the correct inner and outer spacers first.

Inner between rotor and crank spacer 29961-85 (86 up)
    Outer between rotor and comp sprocket spacer 29960-91 (91 up)

Then, using a straight edge just like on a shovel---Pan etc lay it on the teeth of the clutch and keep shimming the comp sprocket out until the teeth touch the staright edge. If you have a dial indicator it will make life easier as you can make the measurement for the spacer size needed and get it or a combo that works.
  3. basket case king

basket case king New Member

all taken care of

Finally talked to my engine builder. He looked at it noticed that my 1991 engine had a spacer built into the rotor suggested we go to an after market rotor without built in spacer and shim it out accordingly thanks for info :eek: