1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Interchanging FL wheels

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by strickt9Rob, Mar 20, 2005.

1. strickt9Rob

strickt9Rob Active Member

Can anybody tell me about swapping wheels from the late models 2000 and up
    to the early models,say back to 1984. I know the bearings and axels are diffirent. But will the era,of hubs except each other bearings and seals?
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

after 00 the axle diameter changed as well as the bearing type, I would believe you'd have to custom make spacers and you'd have to change swingarms and lower front fork sliders.

For example the best way would be to get a set of lower sliders for a 00 and up bike and put them on your upper forks, I would think they are the same.

Then you could put the 00 and later front wheel on use the newer brake calipers pad and rotors.

Twin cams have dual piston front calipers, drilled rotors and better bearings.

Sell the old stuff on ebay.

In fact I have a full lower set for a 00 softail now that I think about it everything but the axles LOL That's what swapping up to chrome stuff will do for you.