1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

internal wiring in handlebars

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by rose_guy, Jan 21, 2006.

1. rose_guy

rose_guy New Member

I am putting the wiring internal to a set of handlebars and I get everything but the turn signals. Where are the wires supposed to go? Do most people just leave the signals off?

Thanks
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the wiring for the turn signals should fit inside the bar also. some states require turn signals, so they need to have them to pass inspections. some builders use turnsignals in the rearview mirrors, under the headlight, mounted to the bars, on the lower legs, the list goes on and on. your imagination is your only limit as to where they can be mounted.
    chuck
  3. 00 wildglide

00 wildglide New Member

Relocate Signals

ROSE_GUY,
    I did my DYNA with some 10" drags w/internal wiring & ran the sw. housing wires
    through new heat-shrink tubing instead of the o.e. covering(makes the harness
    diameter smaller).Next,I did the same for the signal wires & routed them through
    the riser holes.As for signal mounting;Some folks put the stock signals back below the levers or use a variety of different style lights.Check with C.D. at DIRECT PARTS-or-check out D.P.s web site.You could also relocate them to the
    forks via signal "clamp" type brackets.GOOD LUCK!!!.
  4. rose_guy

rose_guy New Member

I must not have been clear

I guess I didn't ask the question quite right. I can get the wire through the bars without any trouble. I haven't really tought about new turn signals but I might look into that later. My problem is that the original bars allowed the wires to pass under the clutch and brake housings due to an indentation in the bar. The new bars have a hole in the bar but no indentation that would allow the wire to pass out beneath the brake and clutch assemblies. Where do you put the turn signal wires from the exit hole to wherever they are mounted. I suppose one solution is to get passing lights and place the turn signals on that bar, but I wasn't planning on doing that right now.