1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Introducing me, a newbie

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by RoyD, May 2, 2007.

1. RoyD

RoyD New Member

Hello to Forum Members,
    I'm RoyD, been riding for over 40 yrs both street & dirt, Wife been riding for 35+ mostly dirt. We're both retired motocrossers, cross country, & enduro. I have owned Harleys & metrics & now ride a Valkyrie & she rides an XL883 Custom 100th Anniv. model. I'm verry interested in doing 1200 conversion on hers. If anyone out there has any info, lets talk.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

welcome roy...nice to have you here!!!! the sporty guys will be along shortly...there have been 1200 conversions done here in the past....maybe while ya waiting, do a seearch and see what ya come up with.....have fun!!
    chuck
  3. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

What up Roy, nice to have ya here. I know theres a few sporty guys here somewhere and they'll chime in soon. Plenty of good advice here, enjoy your stay!
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

welcome roy, & like they said someone here had done the 883 to 1200 sporty change My daughter has the 883C with some SE part's & it seem's to do the job real good pipes & air cleaner & carb rejetted
    :cool:
  5. Sportster4Me

Sportster4Me New Member

If you can't get all the info you need about the conversion here, Try the" XL- Forum" .I know thats theres a bunch of the same info there.Also from one "Newbie" to another WELCOME !
  6. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Hi Roy and welcome. Be sure to post your 883 to 1200 conversion question in the Tech Talk forum. There you are sure to get some hits from many who have done the conversion themselves.
  7. Texas Road Glide

Texas Road Glide New Member

i am one of those sporty people........giggling
    but i bought a 1200 custom, that someone else had already modded out, screamin eagle everything, stage 2 upgrade........extended tank wich i like the best, forward controls, lots of chrome.....
    sounds like a pretty cool project,you wanting to do, keep us posted let us know how its going????
    and welcome to one of the better forums, the people here willlllllll keep you comin back......

TRG

p.s.
    pics of my sporty are in my gallery,if wish to look...............
  8. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Yes TRG, the people here will keep you coming back. I belong to another forum and it's ok, but there's too much "I'm a real biker and your not" kinda crap. I definitely prefer this forum of all the ones I've checked out. It is by far the friendliest and most "comfortable".
  9. Cracker

Cracker New Member

Hi and welcome!

Cracker
  10. troby53

troby53 New Member

Welcome

Welcome from another newbie...:)

I'm one of those Sporty guys....('06 1200R Stage 1 with Vance and Hines)

I actually considered buying an 883 and doing the 1200 conversion, I was looking at the cost benefit. In my case I got a pretty good deal on my Roadster so I just went with that. I also liked the fact that the Roadster came with the higher compression heads. Anyway, keep us informed about how the conversion goes for you. Hope it works well.

Now if they just made an 88 conversion for mine...:roflmao:

Troby53
  11. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

Ask at your local dealer or indy wrench and see what they say. I believe there are kits available that have everything you need to do the conversion. If I remember correctly, it is basically jugs, pistons, heads and maybe a cam. It's been almost forever since I looked into it. I've bought and replaced two Sporty's since then and with my adult ADD, it's tough to remember exactly. I know I ended up buying a 1200 on both occasions.

Good luck.
  12. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

Welcome on to the forum dude... Enjoy!!! :)
  13. Peyts

Peyts New Member

I'm also one of the Sporty guys... but I got the 1200 straight-up at a SWEEEEEEEET deal. I have heard that the conversion kit is not that bad to install, but not too cheap to purchase either. Have you considered just doing the Stage 1 (and maybe the Stage 2) instead of the conversion... you may get the torque and horses that you need/want that way. Just a thought...