1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Introduction, thoughts and a question

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Ashley, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I’m not sure where this goes, in part an introduction to me, in part random thoughts, in part some questions.

On HOG. I’m not sure. I’m a member, the benefits are good. I have just renewed. I doubt I’ll ever do Sunday ride outs. I doubt I’ll go to big events. To be honest I am not sure about any group, what I enjoy is taking off with Hilary and riding, just the two of us, me and Hilary. I enjoy meeting people on the road, a chat, a laugh, the greeting, the goodbye. I guess I’d be the same about any group.

It is nice to meet like minded free spirits, by free I mean not riding in a pack.

Earlier this summer we went from London UK to Greece and back on the Softail Custom. It was an amazing blast of fun. We met folks on Harleys, on BMW’s with a home including the kitchen sink loaded on the back, folk on big touring bikes of all makes, we met we talked we parted.

The most wonderful was the two of us on one bike, alone, riding. The mountains of Greece, looking down at eagles souring in valleys. The freedom.

I guess I am never going to be a good club member in the sense of planned rides or belonging to a group.

So HOG, yeh, good benefits, free for the first year, paying now but probably worth it for recovery, if things go wrong, bleh. I can drift down to socials have a drink and chat. HOG is also very sanitised not that I want the “edge” of some other groups.

But chat, talk, sharing, I like, hence this post.

I have a 2007 XFSTC Softail Custom. I’m thinking about a stage 1 upgrade. So I need to change the air intake, the exhaust, and the fuel injection. I don’t want to vastly change how the bike looks beyond what is cool, the air intake can visually remain the same. So essentially the pipes. Some nice pretty Vance and Hines pipes, either the curved ones, or long straight shots, or simply change the mufflers to SE? Or is there other cool and good options. Thoughts anyone, I’m fishing.?

A
  2. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

Theres a thread about HOG membership on this site (somewhere) & from what I read about it, the bennies are good. Im not a member, so I wouldnt know....I'm not a member of any riding group, partly because there are so many I'd like to look into, I dont think I could make up my mind. These are a good group of people on this site....any questions they can usually help you out....('cept me, I'm here to sponge as much info as I can off these guys)
  3. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

ya know there are probably enough good folks on this site you probably wouldn't need roadside assistnce
  4. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

:D :roflmao: ooh yea:roflmao:
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

you bring up a good thing.....maybe we could get a "contact list" of members willing to help a stranded/lost member. i know that all members dont have trailers, tools, ect. but maybe could get help on the way in some form. i would be a part of the list....i have tools,trailer access, and a shop to store one in......:)
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Hey guys Ashley is in the UK , does you trailer float:roflmao:
    Ashley I'am not a member either so no good info from me I did look into it , but don't do meeting & such , I like to ride just to see who & what I will meet , I never could see joining any one group of any sort , but ask away & someone will chime in that knows
    I'am less then a hundred miles from chuck have tool's & storage & trailer as well
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  7. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I think a contact list of members willing to help a stranded, lost, whatever member is potentially a good plan. It is only really going to work for breakdowns, accidents etc if this includes phone numbers since otherwise phoning a mechanic is almost always going to be fastest.

A list of useful contacts, mechanics and the like, with phone numbers and addresses might also be really good.

So is sharing tips and solutions. Here is one, applies to UK and Europe (cannot say if it applies elsewhere but it might). If your Harley (or any other bike) is fitted with an immobiliser and / or alarm, do not park it near a mobile phone (cell phone) mast. You will not be able to start your bike until you get it away from the mast since the phone radiation blocks the sensor on your immibiliser / alarm. Solution, get a trucker to pull up next to your bike so your bike is shadowed from the mast, or push your bike (alarm blazing) away from the mast and preferably to a place behind something large like a building.

As to HOG, well, Assist, Shipping and the like are cool. HOG is possibly worth it for this. Chapter membership I am far less certain of. I prefer to ride just me and Hilary, one bike. Earlier this year we were near Geneva, the bike refused to start, one phone call to Assist and they reminded me of the mobile phone mast issue. Problem solved.

Sharing is good.

Ocean going Pick Up Trucks are interesting thought :)
  8. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

maybe we put our heads together along kens help we might be able to put up a secure area for such an idea. i also have shop, tools, trlr, (not including the one i started last winter and havent touched sense)and some times the time:D
  9. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

I'm up for it. Don't have a garage, but have tools and a jack to work on an Ironhorse... Great idea with this list thingy!!!:)
  10. chucktx

ya know, i wasnt going to say anything..........:rolleyes: but since you did......anything new to report?????:D
  11. chucktx

a person wouldnt really have to have a shop and tools.....maybe just acess to a trailer. anything to get a member off the hiway...im in, if we get this figured out..........:)
  12. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

I have all of the above too. Tools, trailer, a shop, etc. I am also always available by cell phone. Let me know if you get this figured out....
  13. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Have a friend outside london he's in a local HOG they do runs etc help each other out, it would probably be a good idea, dealers are far and few overseas compared to the USA.

Always good to have friends to help.
  14. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

ya know work took over and I havent seen the trlr, havent done one paint job or attemted airbrush job, no mechanicls, welding just been home long enough for that fun thang and gone again, oh and by the way chuck i have finally come up with the mural for the faring and bags, just need to practice some soo i am sending you a pm, anyway i'll get back to it this winter, i dont trlr the scoot but it is always fun to fab:D
  15. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

sounds great

no trailer unless I borrow a family one(no problem)But I got alotta tools( a family owned full machine shop),welders torches,duct tape:rolleyes:, and a place to put ya up if ya need it till your ride gets fixed I am within 15 miles of two HD dealerships and three private owned shops within two. for all makes and models. I know alot of fellas to help get it loaded. PLus I know where we can get some really cold brews at a local good ol' boy biker friendly bar. One right across the street from the repair shop and one shop has a bar as well.

Heck even if ya don't break down we can put ya up save ya some money for more Tshirts. AD Farrows is right here(oldest HD dealership in country).
    Our place is small and all but my wife and son always have a housefull of friends ( We got more cable channels and my wife is a serious cook! plus unlike me they are popular))so no problem.
    it would be cool just to make a ride from town to town and meet as many of ya all as possible. You all good people !!
    Got many friends from the service out west,but no one East coast. Heck never been to NY and it ain't that far. A-1 from top to bottom also is on my list to do SOON!!!!

Later,
    Voo1:cool:
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2008