1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Is carrying on a bike so confusing everywhere?

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Hot01, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Here is the handgunlaw web site it's a good reference

Handgunlaw.us

Your best bet is to google colorado firearm laws and
    check into the transportation rules regarding vehicles.

If you do not have a CWP or CCP (Concealed Permit)
    then typically you cannot carry it on your person, however you can
    carry it in a bag attached to the bike as part of the bike

IE I can put them in my tour pack and lock it when
    not at the bike in FL.

NY and NJ have rules regarding how the gun and ammo
    must be carried in the vehicle, and what kinds of ammo
    NJ doesn't allow hollow points, do not get caught in NJ even
    with them in a box.

IL doesn't allow any kind of personal permits to carry

If you can qualify go get a CWP in CO it's generally
    an inexpensive class and you can then legally carry it
    on you in CO, and any state that reciprocates with CO
    Colorado Link
  3. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I'll probably end up getting the CCP. Examiner wanted articles on gun laws, and I figured that would be of interest. Amazing how vague the professionals are on it.
  4. hotroadking

I would presume that in a vehicle means on a motorcycle, and while you are ON the bike you would be legal to carry it, once you step off you would then have a concealed gun and have to remove it and store it on the bike, locked up of course.

RV/Car Carry Without A Permit/License

18-12-204. Permit Contents - Validity - Carrying Requirements.

(3) (a) a person who may lawfully possess a handgun may carry a handgun under the following circumstances without obtaining a permit and the handgun shall not be considered concealed:

(I) the handgun is in the possession of a person who is in a private automobile or in some other private means of conveyance and who carries the handgun for a legal use, including self-defense.

Now if you don't have a permit and have a handgun with you on or in a private vehicle IE car or bike, tractor, lawn mower whatever you are driving/riding you cannot have a round chambered, in a revolver you need one empty chamber IE not ready to fire.

When does CO consider a firearm loaded?

33-6-125. Possession Of A Loaded Firearm In A Motor Vehicle.

It is unlawful for any person, except a person authorized by law or by the division, to possess or have under his control any firearm, other than a pistol or revolver, in or on any motor vehicle unless the chamber of such firearm is unloaded. Any person in possession or in control of a rifle or shotgun in a motor vehicle shall allow any peace officer, as defined in section 33-1-102 (32), who is empowered and acting under the authority granted in section 33-6-101 to enforce articles 1 to 6 of this title to inspect the chamber of any rifle or shotgun in the motor vehicle. For the purposes of this section, a "muzzle-loader" shall be considered unloaded if it is not primed, and, for such purpose, "primed" means having a percussion cap on the ***ple or flint in the striker and powder in the flash pan. Any person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of fifty dollars and an assessment of fifteen license suspension points.
  5. hotroadking

This would be a good reference site,

http://www.rmgo.org/forums/

From the above link

http://www.rmgo.org/gun-law-faqs/carrying-in-a-vehicle

Can I carry while on a motorcycle? CONDITIONAL YES

18-12-105. Unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon - unlawful possession of weapons.

(2) It shall not be an offense if the defendant was:

(b) A person in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance who carries a weapon for lawful protection of such person's or another's person or property while traveling

(Just remember that if you stop at a prohibited carry location i.e. school or court, you will have to leave the weapon in your vehicle. With motorcycles, this is not an option.)

Of course if you have a bagger with locking bags you can leave gun in it.