1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Is the 99 HD carb the same as a 89, will all related parts swap

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by FriendGregory, Apr 14, 2008.

1. FriendGregory

FriendGregory New Member

I am going to call this guy in a couple minutes, to buy the Harley carb.

HD 40MM carb and S & S Super E carb

It will be replacing my out dated Mikuni 40mm that I really do not like, 3000 to 4000 rpm issue, poor starting/flooding/backfiring.

Should this 99 be a bolt up for a 89 touring? (Backing plate, VOES,)
  2. ggreenetx

ggreenetx New Member

3. FriendGregory

FriendGregory New Member

Ok, the 99 twin cam carb and filter assembly is physically attached to my 89 EVO, they cam from a 99 twin cam and I do not have the breather threw the screws that fit into the heads. My breather comes from the lower part of the block/case and I still have yet to figure where I want to attach it. The 99 air filter has 2 holes in it that came with 2 pre bent hoses that imply that they were supposed to work withe the 2 "extra holes in the filter. One side has no way out of the filter case and the other does not reach a same size hole threw the filter case. I figured out with my manual that the plastic connector on the carb closest to the motor is actually the over flow. Of the 1984 to 1990 manual, only the 1990 had a CV carb,
    Tomorrow to check if HD-1499 Vehicle Applications.
    http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=HD-1499

Attached Files:

4. FriendGregory

FriendGregory New Member

A big plus to my local custom shop.
    Hard Tailz
    2983 Lafayette St, Santa Clara, CA 95054
    (408) 844-9444
    Yesterday I came by and asked if he had an easy just for the idle and he did not. He asked me what I was doing and I told how I was replacing the 40mm Mukuni with a 99 CV carb. The guy that I was talking with buddy said that he did not understand why I would want to go backward but, hey! He added offhand that I really did not need one but, could get me one in a day or 2. I thanked him and said that I wanted one today but, I might get back to him.

Today armed with more information, I came by and asked what the turn around time and cost of the dyno tuning would be. I was asked how it ran and I told him how I had a 42 and a 45 low speed jet and the high speed jet is a 185, I put the 42 in the low speed because before when it tried to die when coming off idle using the 45. With the 42 it would come off idle but, pop threw the carb. I was running but, not right. I suddenly had a very interested audience. I was asked about the year, any mods and exhaust. The guy stands up as he is is explaining to back off the idle to 3/4 from all the way in, put back the 45 low speed jet and "gave me" a 170 for the high speed. I got home and did as instructed and I had a fine start, rode a couple minutes with the choke on and what a great ride. Pulls strong and steady. :cheers:
  5. FriendGregory

FriendGregory New Member

Oh,. forgot to add that I had to drill out some threads from the switch handgrip housing on the riders side, because I had to use the cables from the 99. I managed to use other parts included with the deal ( air filter, with silicone closing the unused holes, the backing plate, "football" cover, had to buy proper sized screws to connect the backing plate to the head). I have yet to reconnect the engine vent but, a lot of folks vent to the atmosphere so, no big deal for a few days.
  6. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Just vent the crankcase to the atmosphere,it'll keep oil mist out of the carb ,but put a filter on the end of the hose to keep crap out of your bottom end.