1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

It might not be a H-D but it sure does fly

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by CD, Jun 1, 2004.

1. CD

CD Guest

I got a once in a lifetime oppurtunity not long ago. I hada chance to take a ride on a B17 and I gotta tell you I set a record getting to the airport in order to get the ride. Here are a few pictures:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2004
  2. SK

SK New Member

Too cool! I'm jealous. How long did you go up for?
  3. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

wow!!! That would be some ride. I remember going for a helicopter ride over the badlands eleven years ago and found it pretty neat...a B17? lots of history there.
  4. CD

CD Guest

We got about one hour in. Flew right over the house and Tish and the Grandkids were watching us. It was fun to go from the waist gunners positions all the way up to the nose. They wouldn't let me fly though, wonder why?

Those radials make sweet music and I have always loved the sound so it was a symphony out there. After the flight we stood behind her and just soaked in the sound and smell of the AVGAS burning.

Truly a once in a lifetime deal.
  5. Goose

Goose New Member

Dang, dude, did you try to fit in that belly turret? LOL! The thing looks small! Wow, and that was a heavy bomber in WW2. Sheesh, I thought they were a lot bigger. I've never seen one in the flesh. Man, a day long mission over Germany in that thing, no cabin heat or pressure, flack, no figher support. No wonder so many of those guys didn't make it. My hat's off to the brave men who flew missions in those things.
  6. CD

CD Guest

Belly turret....

No, it was not open and I don't quite think I'd fit. There was something like a 5'2" max height and as small framed as possible for room for the exposure suit. It really is a lot smaller than you think and like you I am always amazed at what those guys did.

I really believe in the saying that they were and are America's finest generation.
  7. SK

SK New Member

The closest thing I've flown in that would sound like that was a C130 (4 prop), but they really don't compare for the magnificence of the beast. C130's are a dime a dozen, yet still used today. I know what Goose means by no cabin heat..13 hours in a C130 from Panama to California with no heat. They did tell us to bring a jacket for the flight. :D

My favorite flight was a KC135 refueling tanker from Alaska to California and getting to lay day in the gunner's turret facing straight down over the Puget Sound and Seattle..what a view! Still..I can't imagine it'd compare to getting to fly in a B17..just too cool.