1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

It's going really well

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by Hot01, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

3 days, 1500 miles and it hasn't been that tough. I'm famous for overscheduling on the miles. When my ex and I rode out to Milwaukee we were planning on 400 mile days and it seemed like it was almost impossible. Maybe it's riding by myself. I could have gone farther today and made it to Sioux Falls, but I decided to stop here in Jackson, MN. I got a great deal at a KOA, which I usually try to stay away from. Nice little site, free wireless internet, swimming pool, laundry - all for $10 (cash - wink, wink). I'm chillin'...

Tomorrow I make Rapid City and then I've cut myself down to 250 mile days so I can see ride the scenic routes and see the sights. I can't wait.

My only bike issue so far was a taillight lens I lost on a pothole. I heard it go and was worried I lost part of my load, but it didn't sound all the bad. 8 freaking dollars for a piece of plastic. I'm losing my rear brake pedal too, which happens all the time, dammit. I brought a set of rear brake pads in case they needed to be changed on the trip. Maybe it will be better tomorrow after it's cooled down, right? I can dream, can't I?
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  2. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a great ride so far!! I cannot WAIT until I begin my trip to Sturgis in about 2 weeks..... I will do approx 5K in 10 days or so.....Hope I have the same resolve you do!!! keep the rubber down and shiny up!!! :cheers:
  3. Peyts

Peyts New Member

AFNurse... I HEAR YA BRO! YEEEE-HAWWWWWWWWW! Can't wait for Sturgis! I may be going a little earlier now as well... we gonna hook up down there or what?!
  4. Peyts

Peyts New Member

Sorry, Hot1... didn't mean to get off topic. (Just a bit excited about Sturgis.) Sounds like a good spin there!
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

glad all is well with you abby!!!! nice deal on the campground also! sounds like your having a great time! keep us posted. thanks for the update....stay safe.
  6. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Nice ride Abby, just be safe and enjoy the trip.
  7. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

good to hear all is going well & keep us all up to date
    Ride safe & enjoy
    :cool:
  8. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Today totally sucked

It was 110 degrees. Add the motor between the legs, so we'll say about 125 maybe. I made it to Rapid City, but I thought I was going to roll over and die on the way. I started buying bottles of cold water and pouring them over me. I was trying to be discreet about it so it wouldn't look like I was trying to do a wet t-shirt thing, but at the last stop there was this cowboy in a truck parked next to my bike and he just wasn't leaving. I hope he enjoyed the show. I know I was miserable. Then I got to Black Hills H-D and all they had were Sturgis t-shirts. I don't want a Sturgis shirt. I'm not there for Sturgis. Now I'm getting eaten up by bugs at the campsite. Wa, wa, wa. :mad: I hope today was the worst day. It's supposed to be hot again tomorrow, but at least I'll be off the wide open, flat, straight interstate and into some more twisty and scenic riding.

I knew it was going too easy!
  9. Peyts

Peyts New Member

Keep it going, sister! You are on the trip of a lifetime! Some of the worst times are the ones that you'll remember and about which you'll have the greatest laughs. Keep the bottom side down and the bugs in your face!
  10. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

:roflmao: I kept thinking that the next time I'm riding in the pouring rain at 50 degrees I'll think about today and it won't seem so bad. I don't know how you southerners do it.
  11. chucktx

it does get hot down here.....but there are ways to curb it.....one way is with a spray bottle of water. i keep in the holder or someplacehandy and spray it on me while riding....when i stop i do as you did, use the water hose or bottle of water to cool off......screw the cowboy....probly the best he has seen in a long time!!!!;) glad your doing good so far. hope your taking pics and keeping a journal.....those will be great in a few years....stay safe!! stay hydrated also....ya dont need a stroke out on the hiway!
  12. cowboy

better start drinking some off that water ,
  13. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Today was better. Still hot, but I was doing some scenic riding instead. I put a pic in the gallery. Let's see if I can figure out how to put it here...

[​IMG]

Well that didn't work. It's in my gallery.
  14. cowboy

Nice pic, did you pick-up a riding buddy (red bike in the back ground )
    Sound's like you having a good time
  15. chucktx

great pic, thanks!!!! looks like your having fun, and a great scenic route!! be carfull, have fun....
  16. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

That looks like some nice riding areas! Stay safe, be smart and keep posting pics for those of us who don't have that kind of scenery to enjoy. :D
  17. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

That bike belongs to the couple who was taking my picture. I did buddy up today and was offered a place to stay in Cooke City, but I was a good girl and turned it down. I did get a phone number and e-mail address though. ;)

It was much better today. It cooled down considerably and we even hit a little bit of rain. It felt great! Came out 16 West to Cody from Buffalo. The first part of the ride was amazing. Scenic and really nice sweeping turns you could do at 60-65 with a good lean. Just what I needed after 2 days of cornfields. I'll get one of those pics up shortly.
  18. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

Looks like your ride is going VERY well!!! Hope tomorrow is as great as the last day or so!!!
  19. chucktx

thanks forthe update!!! glad all is well and your making friends along the way....they come in handy from time to time!!!;) stay safe, and have fun!!
  20. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

That's cool that you can send pictures on your route. I won't be taking a computer with me to Sturgis. Too much to carry. But, if you can send some more it's fun to see.

It does get blistering hot sometimes.

I met up with a guy from Houston, Texas coming back from Sturgis in 2004. He had rigged up a water mister on his apes that worked great. I can't remember how he pressurized some reservoir of water to keep the misters on from gas stop to gas stop.

Ride safe. Don't let your guard down.

T