1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Jets

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Informme, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Informme

Informme New Member

Hi Everybody,

Had quick question. I am working on a 2001 sportster sport cv carb. It is recommended that you use a #46 for the slow jet and #195 or200 for the main. Do you think it would be to much if I used a #48 for slow jet?:D

Thanks
    Scott
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

question....why?? if it is running ok, leave it as is. changing will decrease your mileage....if your having problems, they need addressing........
  3. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I agree with Chuck on this. If it is running well why change it. I am running a 46 pilot and I am getting terrible milage. IN about a week I am going to be completely re-jetting my carb. That is a large main though. Is that stock for that year???
  4. Informme

Informme New Member

I'm going to a spiked air kit, and if I don't change jets, it will be too lean.

Scott
  5. JohnnyBiker

I have a spiked air kit on as well. I am running a 46 and it is too much. I am sure that I will be going to a 45. I have been chasing carb issues for a while now. I started out with a 42, then a 44 and now a 46. this time I am sure I will be changing the main, the last few times I did not.
  6. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Hi Scott, replied to your other post earlier but now I'm curious about this statement "It is recommended that you use a #46 for the slow jet and #195 or200 for the main." Where did you find that arrangement as a recommendation? That jetting could very well foul your plugs by the time you reach the next signal.
  7. JohnnyBiker

I would agree. Just from going through the problems that I have, I am sure that I have too big of a pilot in it. Here is question Ken. If I go down on the pilot from a 46 to a 45, but up one size on the main, will I still get poor milage or will my condition improve because of a different engine set up???
  8. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

The pilot and main jets work independently of each other in most cases. Going down a step on the pilot will only improve mileage if the mixture screw is set right. The main jet kicks in just after 3/4 throttle and could decrease mileage in that range. Then again if you live at full throttle then fuel mileage is the least of your worries. The only time I ever recommend a #200 is on a 95" build or larger. The last 95" big bore I did was very happy with a 195 main and 48 pilot. Often throwing more fuel at the engine won't deliver any greater performance as opposed to smaller jetting and the correct tuning.
  9. JohnnyBiker

Ok, but with a different set up, one that produces more HP and torque, one may be at WOT for brief periods of time, but be at lower speeds. In this scenario, wouldn't a larger main benefit you?? What is the main jet size stock on an 883 Hugger. 96??? I looked up the following site and they did not give me the specifications for stock, only for an SE upgrade. This leads me to another question, If my is originally an 883, but did the conversion and other mods, I should be going according to the 1200 specs correct??? On this site they are saying that the main should be upgraded to a 165. This is for the 883. So i am guessing that the stock main is either a 160 or 165. This seems way too small for an engine that is producing 70+ HP??? The Sportster Home Page
  10. Wildride

Wildride New Member

How about the jets for a 2002 883 Sportster...what size jets are considered stock?
  11. Informme

Informme New Member

Found info on HD talking
    Scott
  12. Wildride

Wildride New Member

Thanks..I guess through some other reading I was looking for 42-45 Idle and like 170 main...
  13. JohnnyBiker

I have been on that site. Do you like it???
  14. Wildride

Wildride New Member

Good info yes. I guess some get the confused look, because they interchange 883 and 1200's. I want the 883 info only...because that's what I'm working on...
  15. JohnnyBiker

I have noticed that too, that is why I like this one the best. Have you considered doing the conversion??
  16. Wildride

Wildride New Member

Yes, but this isn't my bike. I tried talking to her, but she wants to keep what she has...her call, just trying to help her out
  17. JohnnyBiker

yeah they can be stubborn can't they???:banghead::wtf:
  18. Wildride

Wildride New Member

19. JohnnyBiker

Where ya from???
  20. Wildride

Wildride New Member

Georgia, live about 20 miles South of Macon