1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Jets

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by hoodrulesrk, May 7, 2009.

1. hoodrulesrk

hoodrulesrk New Member

my King coughs at low RPMs through the carb sometimes. It has a Stage 1 air/exhaust. A local mechanic told me I probably need bigger jets. After reading several "threads" I thought I might have too big of an idle jet. I ordered CV Performance's Stage 1 Tuning kit. It came with 46 & 48 idle, and 195, and 190. I took my carb apart, and it has 195, and 48 in it already, from HD when they did the air/exhaust, when I bought the bike. Now I'm confused... anyone have any advice for me?
  2. duke76

duke76 New Member

Have you checked for vaccuum leaks around the intake? Todd
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Yep, agree with Todd there....If I'm not mistaken poppin thru the carb is a sign of lean and with a 48 pilot jet no way it would be lean with a stage 1
  4. 1988flhtc in nfld

1988flhtc in nfld New Member

break out the wd40, hey lucifer. last year when my front cylinder head gasket was leakin, the old girl had a bad cough.and backfirin down hill. fine now
  5. hoodrulesrk

hoodrulesrk New Member

when I put it back together, should I not use the "softer" spring that came with the CVP kit, even though I'm not going to drill it out? Will it not have enough energy to push the slide back down?
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

you DONT want to drill the slide.....the spring will work ok.......
  7. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Heh, yeah 88 Nlfd they don't run all to great with a bad head gasket.... yer bike is sure lookin sweet