1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Jetting Carbs on Royal Star

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by jrsyamaha, Sep 17, 2005.

1. jrsyamaha

jrsyamaha New Member

I have had my bike in the shop twice for fuel problems in Higher Altitude Approx. 4500-6800'. The mechanic added 2 washers under my jets and it ran Real Rich, then they removed one under each. This seemed to help some, but it is still running Rich. I'm thinking that the mechanic didn't know that all I wanted to start with was to sync. my carbs. The service writter didn't know why it was running rough on two cylinders. My question is " Can someone tell me how to Remove the washers under my Jets?" Just a note it was running good at Higher Elevations before the washers were put in. I have Hard-Krome pipes, Stage 1 Jetting, and K&N Quad Oval Filters.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2005
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Anytime you increase air flow it's a good idea to add fuel, you have a cv carb right? Slide that comes up with a butterfly behind it?

Barrons makes a kit for that carb, I would suggest getting with them, you probably needed a bit more fuel on the pilot which should be obtained by drilling out the cover over the idle air screw bottom the screw gently and back out about 3 turns and see how it runs.

You may need to go up one size on the main or shim the needle up with a washer one or the other but probably not both.

Find a shop with a dyno and run the bike and get the afr reading it will help you understand where you are off.
  3. SK

SK New Member

Are you at higher altitude most of the time? If not, then jetting or adjusting for higher altitude would most likely make it run too lean and hot at lower altitudes if that's where you ride most of the time. I've got a Royal Star and just basically have to live with it running a bit fat at higher altitudes because that's just a temporary riding circumstance.

I don't see where you've mentioned changing out air intake and/or pipes. Are you just adjusting the carbs? K&N makes a stock replacement air filter that'll allow a little more air in, which should lean it out some. If you want overall more airflow, I'd talk to the folks at Baron's Custom on the phone and tell them exactly what you want out of the bike and the conditions you ride in. They're the best when it comes to the Royal Star setup. Just know..with carbs, you can't have both worlds when it comes to changing elevation.
  4. jrsyamaha

jrsyamaha New Member

Re: Jetting Carbs.on R.S.

Yes, I Ride mostly in the mountains about 90 miles from my home.
    Elevations: Home 3600' asl, Mtns 9200-6500' asl. As many of know that's rough to tune-up carbs for. The main elevation is around 6800' with rides thru the passes at 8800-9200' for short periods. I do have K&N Hi-Flow Filters, tapers-3.5 t0 2.75 Oval on each Carb. The problem is the bike was running good til the shop tried to add washers to the cabs. They say that there are two places that they can be added to change the air/fuel ratio. I'm not sure that they put them in the right place, and I'm tired fo paying the shop time for them to just try and see if. Thanks for the info on Barron's I will give them a call and talk with a tech.
    Note: My pipes are Really Black!! I'm Running 3.5" Hard-Krome Custom pipes with turn outs, I.D. of Spiral free-flow baffles are 1.25" on 4 into 2 system.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2005
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Take the shims off the needle for one.

If it was running good then get back to the running good. Reads like it's rich if the pipes are really carbon'd up, check the plugs, hard to read them with unleaded but if they are black it's rich.

I agree a BAK from barrons is a good solution, You do have a CV type carb right? Do you know what a CV carb is vs a slide or butterfly? Not talking down but Take the filter off and look inside you should see a plastic or metal plate with a small oval opening, with the bike off, see if you can lift the slide behind it should be a closed butterfly, and a silver needle should be sticking out of the bottom of the slide you're lifting thats a CV or Constant Velocity.

If so take the top off, 4 screws, remove the top, and carefully remove the rubber diaphram, don't tear it, or you have to buy a new one, then lift out of the carb the assembly and remove the needle take off one of the shims, the n ride see if thats better.
  6. CD

CD Guest

SK, correct me if I am wrong but this uses four Mikuni 32mm CV carburetors right? They are vrey similar to Keihin CV's from what I have seen. The have the piston and the butterfly on the intake side.

HRK is correct but I would also add two things. First, raising the needle was the exact opposite of what was needed so put them back to where they were. Second, synch the carbs. An out of synch bank of carbs will drive you nuts trying to tune them.
  7. jrsyamaha

jrsyamaha New Member

Back in High Altitude

CD and HRK, Thanks guys , I just got back home from a ride up to God's Country @ 9500' above sea level. My bike ran GREAT!!!! Getting much better gas mileage also. :D Still has some hasitation that high, but I was expecting that. Can't go from 3500' to 9500'asl without being FAT with carbs. Sure was beautiful up there, the Aspens are just starting to change to a lighter green. They should be in "Full Fall Color" in 3-4 weeks. Got to get back up there before it gets to Cold, hard to dress for freezing weather in mountains and heat in the Desert. Wish ya'll were closer in this direction so you can see. Well, Ride Smart and Be Safe, God Bless. :)
  8. SK

SK New Member

CD..actually..the Royal Star has Mikuni 28mm CV carbs, unless it's the new 2005 Tour Deluxe which has 32mm like the newer Venture has. Same adjustment though. You're also spot on with syncing the carbs..what a difference when they're all synced right. Plus HRK is right in that the plugs need to be drilled out in order to adjust the idle screw. I don't know why they do that, as they're never set right out of the box.
  9. jrsyamaha

jrsyamaha New Member

Good Ride

SK, just to let you know that the tips on my carbs were right on the mark. I ended up with 1 shim on the lower grove on a Stage 1 kit, and 31/4 turns out on my PSM screw(that's in 1/4 from where it was). Plugs are White in color from tip to about halfway inside of plug, I'm asuming that is normal as is it with an auto. My mileage is 40mpg, up from 25. Still a little sooty on my exhaust though, not sure why? Maybe just having to clean up the cylinders, been rich a little while,1500 miles or so. Do you know of anything else that I may need to do to get MPG up more? Please let me know, Thanks. :)
  10. SK

SK New Member

It's tough to get decent mileage on a Royal Star if you do much to the engine..even a stage 1. If you're getting 40 mpg, then you're doing alright. I get 36-37 mpg without twisting the wrist too hard.