1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

jetting

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by bigsean, May 21, 2006.

1. bigsean

bigsean New Member

'84-80ci. I have an S&S super E shorty that i cant seem to get dialed in. the Shovel is mildly modified, A grind cam,9:1 pistons,3 angle valve job,manly valves sifton springs,2" santee drags,kuryakyn hypercharger air cleaner. It runs rich,fouled many plugs (different brands and types). I rebuilt the carb last month and ready to fire the bike after a lengthy down time. any suggestions on where I should start with jetting ?
  2. CD

CD Guest

What jets are in there now?
    What does a plug chop show?

The more specifics you can provide, the more we can help.

BTW, those 2" drags aren't doing you any favors.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

yup.....what cd said!!!!!
    have fun!
    chuck
  4. bigsean

bigsean New Member

I am running a 70 main jet,and a 28 intermediate jet.Feeding the carb with a high flow Pingle.I was running a 2 into 1 header previously, with no baffle.Also the 2" pipes are not baffled.
  5. chucktx

i would suggest to try to baffle the pipes........you are going to have a very difficult time tuning the carb with 2" open pipes.....unless you want to tune for top end only,full throttle and not rideability..........
    chuck
  6. bigsean

bigsean New Member

Well I guess 70/28 is a good starting point. I'll see what that does for me,If you have any more suggestions they are greatly appreciated.
    LIVE,RIDE,DIE FREE!
  7. CD

CD Guest

8. bigsean

bigsean New Member

Should be fired up tomorrow,so I will read the plugs at mid range run. What size Baffle would be recommended ?
  9. chucktx

it shouldnt take much,,,,,just enough for some backpressure.....i have seen small baffles that slip into the end and are secured with a screw.....that should be enough
    chuck