1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Just for interest, comparing prices UK - USA

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by NeilP, Jan 25, 2010.

1. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

I just bough 4 new Exhaust gaskets for a 883 Sportster, two big ones for the head and two for the balance pipes.

They were original Harley silver fiber gaskets, woven type and they cost me
    33 US dollars. That seemed a bit expensive to me but I needed them today so paid up.

Just wondered what they cost on your side of the pond?
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i think that is very close pricing for all 4 gaskets....
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

sounds real close ,think I paid almost $20 for the S E one that fit into the heads
  4. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Oh well OK, then , I do not feel too bad, looks like they are that sort of price all over. I really felt like I was being ripped off....but if we are all getting ripped off the same amount, then that is the way it is.
  5. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

6. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Here in Jersey we only have the local Harley dealer and no on else , so on line is the only option.

I can see myself changing exhaust frequently in the next few months, I am trying to find a set of pipes that are not too loud, but give a better performance to go with Kens' Stage 1 Carb CVP kit.

Will try and get a few sets online at that price
  7. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

If you can find a deal on the SE gaskets, stock up on those. They all "crush" down as you tighten the exhaust bolts, the stock ones tend to squeeze down more & can restrict exhaust flow somewhat - the SE gaskets don't.

Like cheap & simple? Get a hole-saw that'll fit down inside the stock mufflers, an extension for your drill & drill the center plate out. Major increase in flow but not in sound - the only time you really notice the difference from stock is under full-throttle acceleration & even then the bike won't be as loud as with the most common slip-ons. I've got both drilled stock mufflers & SE I (Cycle Shack type) slip-ons & the only real performance difference is the bike will "nose over" on the top end with the drilled stock mufflers. But I don't ride around @ full throttle & 6000 rpm all the time, so it really doesn't matter.
  8. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

I may well do that with the standard mufflers, but I will try and find a spare set first, so I will can go back to standard if required.
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Check Ebay, should be able to find some stock takeoff mufflers cheap....

however for the money buy the Khromewerks HP + slip ons ($175)
    keep your stock for inspections

the KW are very good slip ons...
  10. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Will keep a look out for them on ebay, yes

Khromewerks HP + slip ons, sound a good price.

Thanks