1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Just got back in

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by GreyBear, Nov 10, 2006.

1. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    Well what may have been my last long ride of the year is over. Went from home to Annapolis MD, and spent some time wiht friends then we headed over to the Eastern shore and spent some time on another friends boat. I love the water almost as much as I love the highway! We rode up through New Jersy and New York to Conn. and spent a few days there. A side trip to Mass for breakfast at a killer Mexican joint. A trip to Vermont for Maple syrup. Then I caam back and made the Harley Plant in York PA. but they don't tour this time of year.....ah well I saw the outside, lol. Then down to Middleborough Kentucky to see a friend who is recouping from going over the high side back in October. Then down 25 to I 81 to I 40 and finally to I 26 and HOME. I truly love my Hennessy Hammock system, greatest camping on a bike setup I ever used....but it sure is great to be in the bed with Mrs Bear again....have logged 9876 miles on the Superglide since getting it in March. I will get a few good days and be able to rack a few short trips but they will be fairly local or way South.....although today was beautiful almost 80. Well, keep the shiny side up and....Ride Free......
  2. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like you had a good ride and a great time!! We hit 80+ today...I was at work so don't know the high.....but was supposed to get up to 88-90..... Hope to be riding a bit more yet this year in the TX area!!! :D
  3. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    What a difference a day makes

I decided Saturday since Mrs B was on call to ride down to Fort Sumter National Forest and camp out then ride back Sunday. It was warm enough that I was wearing fingerless gloves and sweating in my leather jacket with just a Tshirt under it going down. Sunday I awakened to a temp about 30 degrees lower and winds that were in the 25 to 35 mph range with some higher gusts. So it was bundle up big time for the ride back and the winds made it a really tiring ride.Was wondering what sort of cold weather gear most folks use. I have all sorts of stuff and have tried a lot. Leather pants, chaps, snow mobile suit (felt like the kid in the movie The Christmas Story. if I fell down I would never get back up without help). I like chaps for cool weather. But for serious cold I have a pr of skiers insulated waterproof breathable overalls. They are light weight compared to leather, are windproof, zippered legs with storm flaps, and are warm as toast. I have several types of gloves, leather riding gauntlets but found my favs at Walmart. They are waterproof skiers gloves that have a storm flap that tightens down and are really warm. The "real" leather mc gauntlets are made for guys with a lot smaller forearms..The gloves are xl but cut the circulation off when I wear them....and the ones from Walmart were about 10 bucks instead of 50, go figure. I did cut some thin leather strips and glue them to the inside of the fingers for a better grip but other than that they do great. Since I try and ride year round I have done some experimenting. Best piece of equipment I ever had was a kidney belt my brother BR gave me...it had pockets where you put 2 of those jonee handwarmers....ummmm on a cold day that felt sooooo good.
    Ride Free.........
  4. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

LAS VEGAS WITH MY WIFE OF 25 YEARS WITH NO KIDS
    Good For You Poppa Bear

I Too Logged On A Few Miles In The Past 5 Days. Went To Mexico For The Rocky Point Run And Had The Time Of My Last 5 Days. Lol....
    There Were About 25 Bikers From The Las Vegas Area. We All Met At A Dennys In Town And Shoveled Some Breakfast Down And Took Off.
    I Really Tried To Keep The Boys Out Of Those Stip Joints Down There. You Know How Hard It Is To Teach Old Dogs New Tricks. Well This Was Harder. They All Complained About Their Lap Dances And I Had To Just Rub It In. As You Know I Just Rebuilt My Top End. I Had Under 500 Miles On Her When We Left. I Left With About 410 On Her. She Performed So Good It Was Scarry. Not A Drip Of Oil Or A Drop Of Gas. Before I Left I Was Having A Problem With My Float Sticking. Turned Out To Be About 16 Years Of Crap In My Gas Tank.
    When I Took It Off All The Crap Dried And Came Out Into My Carb. So After 4 Days Of Cleaning Out My Carb. Bowl. I Finally Took The Gas Tank Off And Flushed Her Out Completely. No More Problems After That. I Put A New Petcock On And Cleaned The Screen Once More And Dropped The Bowl Again. Thats All It Took. What A Ride For My New Baby. It Felt Just As Good If Not Better Then My Last Fxr-lr. The Best Thing I Can Say Is That Out Of All The Bikes That Were Down In Mexico. I Saw 1 That's One Other, Fxr. I Felt Like A King Amungst A Sea Of Softtails And Flh's And Dyna's. Ofcourse The Baggers Were Well Represented. Nowhere To Be Seen Was Another Fxr-p. A Man Has To Be Alone In A Pack Of Bikers Somehow.
    Flames,chrome,apes,fat Tires,and Custom Paint Where All There.
    Even The So Called Square (chopper King) Showed Up. I Am Sure He Named Himself And Knows Nothing Of What A Chopper Was Before He Started Doing The Shows On The Discovery Channel. He Now Is Sporting A Gray Pony Tail And Has His Crew And Babes For The Show Of It All.
    I Am Hopeing That Some Of The Readers Here Had A Chance To Get To Mexico. If I Could Only Talk My Wife Into Living Their, I Would. So Here Is My Best To All Of You Who Have To Lock Up Your Bikes For The Winter Months. I Will Do My Best To Represent Direct Parts Fans In The East And Everywhere Else That It Is Cold.
    I Will See You In The Spring. All My Best To You And Yours In The Comming Holiday Season. Gumby Peace 4 Nyc
  5. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

with ya been riding when I can logged a few but the 50+ winds at 25 deg keeps me in the dodge. the last time was also chilly, had to wear a hoody under the leather and picked up a new paair of ski gloves at sierra trading post for about 25.00 did the trick. I do how ever need to ditch the steel toes when the temp drops.
  6. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

LAS VEGAS WITH MY WIFE OF 25 YEARS WITH NO KIDS
    Now That Has To Suck

Get rid of those shoes for sure. They probably feel like ice cubes on your toes. GUMBY PEACE 4 NYC:rolleyes:
  7. Texas Road Glide

Texas Road Glide New Member

awwwww........... the joy's of living in the south!!!! a cold day here is about 45 degrees with it averaging about 60 during the days of winter, with the exception of a few northener's that make this far......
    my winter gear consists of a full face helment, lined leather jacket, good warm cloves, and insulated boots, thank goodness for that big ole fairing up front......
    if i lived up north, i would have to buy knobbie tires for the winter, mount a snow plow on the fairing, have muffler turn downs put on for the melting affect, last but not least.........bundle up like the michlin tire dude

after all that thought, i think i will just stay put, and let you guys deal with ole man winter!!!!

TRG