1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Just got back

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by baggerpaul, Oct 4, 2014.

1. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Well I finally got the time for a three day get away. Good buddy of mine that grew up in the tenn Virginia area .asked what I was doing for the next three days and wanted to know if I would like to ride in the mountains .i said sure loaded up the bikes on the trailer and off we went .would have rode the whole way from Florida but the weather was total shat.no need for that ride all the way from pompano to tenn. Lucky we knew the front would break just as soon as we would clear .nc any how nothing is better than to ride with a guy that grew up on those mountain roads just awesome raiding .honestly wish I would have brought the dyna I could have had much more fun on those back roads throwing a touring rig around most of the day will wear you out them hillbilly boys tested my riding abilities to the max . Wore out both of my floor boards lol. It was totally awesome riding .also got on the blue ridge it was also awesome views next time I'll take up the smaller bike to have more fun and not wear out my boards . Got all they way down to Maggie valley and my buddy's softail with the 124 compensator again so that days ride was over and never got to wheels through time museum kinda sucks but just have to get there again .had to get a truck and load his bike back to the house in Tenn I got to ride at night through the mountains back to tenn from nc. That will keep ya on your toes when you don't know the roads lmfao. Like I said test your riding ability to the max kinda hard not to ride your lights in the pitch black . Some off the grades coming off those mountains are a 7 some are 8 you are hauling ass in 3 gear and leaning hard lots of fun!
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

From what you told me on the phone it sounds like it was a AWESOME TIME! One day I will make it out there and ride the Dragon.

Is the Dragon that great or do people over embellish that highway?
  3. baggerpaul

Ya the dragon tail is awesome also would have rode that on Monday but my buddys bike was down and i would have wrenched on it but the harley dealer did not have parts in stock for a 2001 softtail when the comp took a shat so did the stator rotor tore the center splines out as we'll. Some of the back roads were as hard or harder than the dragons tail good riding in that part of the country. You will love tjem easy to over ride the curves for sure .got there just in time turned cold on wen
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

BP my 124 tore out the center in the rotor several times.

Nc riding is great stuff
    Night rides in the mountains is interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. baggerpaul

Yep this will be my 3 install on his bike spend more time fixing shit on his bike than mine.all them grades take a licking on the comp
  6. baggerpaul

I gotta say the NC side is nice but the tenn virginia is awesome .genes gap area is beautiful. The valley are is awesome also.
  7. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

You missed a great museum. And a great guy in Dale. He rode my sidecar back in like 2009 or 2010(i forget) when I had ridden there for a couple days. He wanted to show me how its done. He rode around in a circle with the sidecar up in the air. I never duplicated that, not on purpose anyways. Sucks ab0ut your friends bike. One day all you fledgling performance enhancers will come to the realization that stock is better for reliability and MPG. Until then keep learning the hard way.
  8. baggerpaul

Ill go back next year.i will see that museum. My bike has never left me stranded ever .even with my carb i was as high as 6.000 ft to 920 in less than 2 hours she never skip a beat she makes great power and average fuel mpg was 44 .she makes 110 horse and 109 ft lbs from 2.300 to 5.900 you would throw rocks at your stock bike if you road my full dresser .stock sucks ! Period tell me that when you pull a grade of 6.000 ft at sixty in fourth gear and shift into 5 with quarter throttle man please.my bike is 14 years old with the original bottom end and i ride it like a punk.i made sport bikes let me by this week in the twisties.this bike is the most dependable bike i have ever owned.
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  9. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

I'm in no hurry. I ride responsible. For me and what I want and do, stock rocks. I want reliability and MPG. 103 has more power than I need. And its all from the factory. Imagine. Who'd ever thought HD would be pumping out a 103 motor. Crazy,lol.

Once you start tweaking factory you are tempting the fates, thats just the way it is and good luck with that. For every one person who swears by there performance altered machine, there are uncountable ones who's bikes have failed them. Some catastrophically.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  10. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

BP you were in my backyard, give me a shout when you come back, maybe I can hook up with you guys.

JB, Tail of the Dragon is good road, but over hyped...real crowded on weekends, I still ride it couple times a year, because it is there I guess. Love the loop that goes through Tenn and back into NC on Cherohala Skyway. There are a number of roads without traffic and just as many curves as the Dragon.
  11. baggerpaul

Will do next time ill go back in the spring ill give ya a heads up spur of the moment trip buddy had to go check on his mom she is in a nuring home just out side of johnson city tenn .so we look in on her and rode . Ill be back for sure .love that part of the country .love the vigina tenn side also. Those mountains are just awesome .love the fact thaat i found lots of non ethanol fuel with 93 octane lol!kinda funny with the moonshine stills all over apalatcha! Hehe.