1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

just installed thunderheaders on 06 Dyna little back fire

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by edgehaha, Aug 11, 2006.

1. edgehaha

edgehaha New Member

That was the hardest **** part I ever installed. I got black powder coated finish and if you look at it real hard... The **** thing will scratch! Flat Black high 1500 f temp paint covers scratches fairly well. If anyone wants to install thunderheaders on an 06 dyna, you might want to send me an email. It took me about 6 hrs to solve the puzzle! Don't follow the crappy directions cause they aren't written all that well.

The pluses:

The things sound freakin awsome! In my opinion, they sound better than any of the dual pipes I've heard on other Dynas. The black powder coating cools down in less than 10 munites. The stock ones I had took almost an hour. pipes weigh about 20 lbs and I'm sure the stock ones are about 40lbs. Thus, I dropped 20 lbs off the bike. When I want to hual ass around corners, I'm not scraping the **** brackets from dual pipes any more. I can lay the bike down another 5 degrees. We all know the thunderheader 2x1 pipes are pretty close to the best performance pipes for Hp and tq. Needless to say, I don't have to pull the throttle down as much as I used to get power.

The only thing I don't like is that when I down shift , it back fires a little, just a little pop! pop! . I take it this is normal. I use a PIII to control my EFI and I have a big sucker intake. I've heard that if you go from a stock chain cam drive to a direct gear drive, that the back fires go away. any opinions or knowledge out there? The spark plugs look good. Nice tan coating as usual.
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Remap?

I don't run an EFI bike, but I always thought if you changed the pipes you needed to change/tweak the map, too. Might solve the backfire.
  3. edgehaha

edgehaha New Member

Red Rider,

That is true and I certainly did that. The map I used was the thunderheader SE air intake. Don't think the SE is much different than the big sucker. Could be. I'll look into it. It would be nice to take the bike to a dyno, but that will have to wait
  4. yankeerl

yankeerl New Member

That light pop on decel usually means you are running a little lean on the low RPM/Idle speed. Try richening up the low end just a bit, and see if it goes away. I would not make any drastic changes, just try a very small change and see what happens. This way you are not doing anything that can't be reversed. This is the beauty of a plug and play EFI controller. Good luck.

RL
  5. edgehaha

edgehaha New Member

Here's how the new pipes look on my Street Bob

Attached Files:

6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

nice pipes.........nice ride..
    chuck
  7. edgehaha

edgehaha New Member

thanks Chuck. She's in summer bar hopping mode; I have saddle bags, a passenger seat and sissy bar for long haul trips. That's why she looks different in the avitar.

Edge
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

what is the small tank near the reg for???
    chuck
  9. CD

CD Guest

Most in CA would probably wish it were laughing gas....but, it is the charcoal cannister.
  10. edgehaha

edgehaha New Member

It is ugly, but it's comes on all CA bikes. It captures boil off from the gas tank and recycles it into the engine at start up. So it protects the enviroment from insignificant amounts of gas fumes. Sort of like those rubber boots on gas station nozzles.
  11. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

12. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

the super sucker has bigger tubes

The Super sucker has bigger crank vent tubes than the SE does. Only difference I have seen.
  13. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

14. edgehaha

edgehaha New Member

Killer-B

I was born and raised in the mid west and I plan on staying in CA till they scrape my road kill off the highway! I got ocean, mountains, and desert within 45 minutes of me. Yeah, the goverment charges too much tax and there are alot of nutty liberals, but I'll take that over Tornados, lake effect winters and bible belt values any day. Just an opinion, but it is my very own:D
  15. CD

CD Guest

That's 'cause H-D didn't want to totally knock off Corey's design.
    The Screamin' Beagle also has a non-reusable element so factor that into the total cost over the life of the bike.
    The Ness has a K&N (and now about everyone else) type element and with proper maintenance will last until you damage it...
  16. aaron

aaron New Member

Dont chrome it. Rip it off. If you have a air cleaner kit that replaced the backing plate it isnt doing anything anyway. It is just a matter of venting the tank to the atmosphere and plugging tha vacuum line at the source. The purge line that went into the stock backing plate it probably disconected anyway (now). Nice bike BTW
  17. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

I’d pull it off too, but, I would never throw it away. You never know when you may need to put it back on for smog test or resale or warranty. I don't know the laws but they could change again.

All cars sold in the US have Evaporative Emissions equipment like this. It is only a matter of time when they are on all bikes in all States.

As long as the ECM doesn’t monitor the tank pressure for leaks, like it does on cars, there should be no ill affects to removing it.

Good luck. Chrome something just for me.:D